making a 94 speedo work with 02 6speed

coal-roller

Hey i just recently swapped in a 12 valve from a 96 2 wheel drive into my 02 4x4 6 speed. I used all the 96 wiring computer and dash. Everything works accept for the speedo ,does anybody know if i can somehow wire this up?

I thought the speedo ran off the rear axle. It has a speed sensor mounted into the top of the housing and runs off a tone ring that is mounted on the ring gear.

ok thanks ill try splicing some wires and see what happens

I think it is a little more than that. If I recall the sensor on the tcase gives 8 pulse per revolution of the drive shaft. The tone ring on the rear end has lots and lots of pulse.

ah ok. didn't know that.

The 97 and older use the speed sensor on the tcase for the speedo, the sensor in the rear is for ABS only IIRC on those year. 98+ uses the sensor in the rear for the speedo and abs IIRC

what would you suggest the best way to go around this would be?

1. Purchase a Garmin/Tom Tom/ cheap GPS system
2. Hang from windshield
3. Look at speed on the unit
4. Drive around and marvel at the money you saved, and how you are no longer putting anymore miles on your truck.

:hehe:

Rick

call dakota digital. Im dealing with the same issue now. installing a np273 transfer case into a dodge and it has no speedo sensor.

check my thread on this page called speedo signal. I got some good info fromn another user

1. Purchase a Garmin/Tom Tom/ cheap GPS system
2. Hang from windshield
3. Look at speed on the unit
4. Drive around and marvel at the money you saved, and how you are no longer putting anymore miles on your truck.

:hehe:

Rick

lol awsome i should

Ill check out your thread lews930 for sure

should have used all the 02 wiring and dash a few adapters and it would have been all turn key. it has been done before just the oppisite way you went about it.

should have used all the 02 wiring and dash a few adapters and it would have been all turn key. it has been done before just the oppisite way you went about it.

yeah probably, i only had three days to build the truck swap cabs motor and tranny and the whole front end ,thats where the problem was. I am still going to eventually rip apart my 98 12v and steel everything from there i just had no time this time around considering i had to be back at work 1300kms away on the 4th day. So it was a rush job kind of pissed me off cause i had to use a stock clutch too ,that cost $580. Iam gonna re do it this summer and either use the electrical from my 02 or that 98 12v i think.

Back