Manual steering and brake conversion??

r-rated diesel

I was wondering if anyone has done a manual brake and manual steering conversion on their trucks. Mine is a 94 2wd that is going to be a drag truck only. Wanted to free up some crap on the drivers side.

That's why I'm asking I didn't know how it would act. I really just want to get rid of the power steering pump it leaks. The steering pump can be removed while keeping the vacuum pump for the brakes correct?

To go with no power steering you would need to replace the gearbox with a non power box or a rack, running the factory power steering box with no pump it will be a hand full. I don't know if possible but early 80's Chevy half tons were avail without power steering and look somewhat similiar to the dodge from the little I remember. That's just a guess though.

I knew I would have to change it out. I just didn't know if they make a direct replacement one. I have seen a few sled pullers with manual steering

Went to manual rack and brakes on my truck. Check my thread in the drag racing section.

Early first gens use a very compact vacuum pump and normal steering pump. Remove the internal pistons of the vacuum pump, the diaphragm, and tap the holes for 1/2" pipe thread.

The steering pump can power both hydroboost (more compact than vacuum boost) and power steering.

Just an idea.

Back