Many Problems, Need Help

01cummins

My uncle has a 99 PSD and his son was driving it and it started to idle rough, so he pulled over. The truck has no power, starts rough with a jumping idle when it starts. The overdrive light is blinking and the check engine light is on. He checked all the fuses, the valve cover harnesses seem to be good but he needs to remove the valve covers to double check when he gets it home. They unplugged the ICP sensor with no change. The batteries are mismatched and kinda old but he hasn't had any problems with his truck in over a year. Does anyone have any advice about what the problem could be? Gonna read the codes tomorrow.

Read codes to be certain.

Most likely it's the connectors under the valve covers. If you scan for codes and a P1316 comes up, then you'll be 99.9% sure it's those connectors. If your scan tool can run a buzz test, it will pull the codes off the IDM and tell you exactly which bank is unplugged.

He had some injectors replaced on it like 2 years ago and an O ring last year, we will check them tomorrow.

Just my $.02, had this happen twice it was like Pocket said the wires under the valve cover that hook to the injectors was lose, first time i just put them back together after cleaning them, that lasted 6 months, then it happened again and i bought a new harness, and been running fine for a year,

Good luck, better hope its on the drivers side, only about 1/2 the time to get the driverside compared to the passenger side.

Back