Max RPM Limit

dangerous06

diesel tech
What is the safe max RPM for a built 6.7? Running Carrillo rods. Street motor tow rig. Sustained RpM's of 3-3500 on the big grades 10 miles of 100% power!
5.9 does it no problem. Figure the 6.7 won't have to fight so hard.

6.7 only have full fuel to 3500

Not when they are run on 5.9 electronic's or P pump's. :lolly:

I am comfortable with 5,200 rpm peak but have been 5,500 rpm peak with much less torque and power on tap. This was also with upgraded bolts on the Carrillo's and R&R's and some Cunningham's.

What kind of power?

Just keep an eye on oil/coolant temps

As JW stated...coolant and oil temps are the ones to worry about....towing at 3-3500 is just fine, as for max rpm with a factory 6.7 rod ratio...I'd limit to 4500

10 MILES OF 3-3500rpm!? I hope you aren't towing pulling grades like that, because that will wipe an engine out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 MILES OF 3-3500rpm!? I hope you aren't towing pulling grades like that, because that will wipe an engine out!

Do explain...

Cummins rates their engines to run at max rpm...just think of a Standby GenSet...full and max RPM for its duration of running.

Albeit that this with the extra HP does change the dynamics some...as long as the cooling package can sustain the high temps and keep the oil/water in reasonable temp...there is no reason why not.

Yes, do explain. There are way too many variables to say that. Everything from the outside air temp to age of the oil determines the answer.

Do explain...

Cummins rates their engines to run at max rpm...just think of a Standby GenSet...full and max RPM for its duration of running.

Albeit that this with the extra HP does change the dynamics some...as long as the cooling package can sustain the high temps and keep the oil/water in reasonable temp...there is no reason why not.

Generators will not spin faster than 8.5% of rated. Rated being 1800rpm for 4-pole Gen heads.

Generators will not spin faster than 8.5% of rated. Rated being 1800rpm for 4-pole Gen heads.

Can you for once post a response that is relative to the actual thread you are posting in....please and thanks. *bdh* Surprised you didn't tell us how many rev's a Stieger can do.

Well that Steiger will be governed to 2300rpm so under 100% load it will be at 2050rpm or so :D

3200 rpm rated
8.5% factor
2928 rpm

So yes 3000 is looking to be safe using your math...

Well that Steiger will be governed to 2300rpm so under 100% load it will be at 2050rpm or so :D

Clear your pm's, I need some help with this

image_zpsajwvu24g.jpg

image_zpsvgb2qy6k.jpg

Sorry dangerous, back on track.

Back