Mechanical Lift Pump

Calder

Hi, I was just wondering if there is a way to get more out of these pumps. Can you get a camshaft with two lobes? Can you get a pump with larger diameter plunger?

I meant more volume of fuel.

If I understand how people make big HP numbers, its just because they've been increasing the volumes of all the other components on the motor. I'm pretty fresh here.

If the stock injection pump does say 150cc of fuel, and you've upgraded it so it does 300cc, would the lift pump be adequate if it fired twice as often or it was twice the size?

I believe all of Hamilton's cams have a longer stroke for the stock lift pump. I have also heard that the stock lift pump is capable of supporting 600ish HP.

I recommend reading a lot before asking to many questions. Most people making "big" HP are running either belt driven mechanical lift pumps or bigger electric lift pumps. What do you consider "big" HP though?

Personally I consider big to be around double the stock HP, but when talking about this lift pump stuff and the overall potential and efficiency of the motor, I couldn't tell you. It would be as simple as using an equasion and the dimensions of the motor to figure out how much power it can possibly produce, and then you would know how much air, and fuel it needs. Its possible that the engine itself would not be strong enough to be making that much power though.

So does the stock lift pump have enough throw to run safely with the hamilton cam? I think dual lift pumps would work well. Doubling the amount of fuel, and have them phased opposite so that the fuel pressure does not ocilate.

Personally I consider big to be around double the stock HP, but when talking about this lift pump stuff and the overall potential and efficiency of the motor, I couldn't tell you. It would be as simple as using an equasion and the dimensions of the motor to figure out how much power it can possibly produce, and then you would know how much air, and fuel it needs. Its possible that the engine itself would not be strong enough to be making that much power though.

The stock rods, pistons, head, block, cam, lift pump, exhaust manifold, intake horn, intercooler, and injection pump (the list goes on) can all support well over double the stock HP.

So does the stock lift pump have enough throw to run safely with the hamilton cam? I think dual lift pumps would work well. Doubling the amount of fuel, and have them phased opposite so that the fuel pressure does not ocilate.

How do you figure your going to fit dual lift pumps on a cam that only has one lobe for one lift pump piston?

Research my friend. :Cheer:

I just thought it would have been a good idea for the application. Just like how some cars ran two V-belts to the same accessory, and how duallies have the provisions for four back tires. I am doing research, however I am enjoying this conversation.

Anyone else have any insight?

Stock 12V lift pump.......

I believe all of Hamilton's cams have a longer stroke for the stock lift pump. I have also heard that the stock lift pump is capable of supporting 600ish HP.

I recommend reading a lot before asking to many questions. Most people making "big" HP are running either belt driven mechanical lift pumps or bigger electric lift pumps. What do you consider "big" HP though?

My truck ran out of fuel pressure with a 12V lift pump at 630ish hp if you ran it down the strip. Now I use a DTT assassin and it stays on 20psi at w.o.t. This is a VP truck, mind you.

My stock lift pump took a dump on me around the 430 range, granted I was running about 3500 rpm , I would invest in a aftermarket lift pump such as an Air Dog 100 or Fass 95 maybe even bigger just depending on the fuel you want to run in the future

I could drag the stocker down to 10psi at 500-ish HP.

Added another electric pump, and gained 35rwhp. Don't care what supports what, it's cheap horsepower.

Yea mine will drop to about 10psi at full boost and I have not even tapped into my mack plug fuel since my tv cable is limiting throttle.

I can also take mine down to 10psi or less on a WOT run with my mediocre setup.

I'm had a DTT pump in hand I was excited to use until they couldn't keep up with Pee Pumps and DTT told me just send it back. It seems that many of the FASS/Airdog systems are warranty nightmares and can leave you stranded. Fuel boss seems like a reliable option and they actually have flow charts [truth or otherwise] to show it's capabilities. Torque Tech has lots of tech articles on the factory pump and it's capabilities but I haven't seen any updates from them lately. For me it looks like a standard pusher pump like a Carter or something will hold me over until I reach the next level.

Good luck with your search.

Im going to run a sump to a walbro 392 with 1/2" line to the front of the pump (dual feed). I plan on using a check valve and a hobs pressure switch so it only comes on when I'm over 25psi of boost. This way you get stock reliability and power when you want it.

Using his track times and a calculator the "junker drag truck" reported almost 100hp gain from dual feeding thanks to more fuel pressure (90psi+ with 3 pumps.)

If anyone wants Cummins filter heads with fleet guard filters, 1/2 line and fittings let me know, I won't be using mine. It was all setup for the belt pump. Also have enlarged fitting for the injection pump, no big neck down like -AN fittings.

If anyone wants Cummins filter heads with fleet guard filters, 1/2 line and fittings let me know, I won't be using mine. It was all setup for the belt pump. Also have enlarged fitting for the injection pump, no big neck down like -AN fittings.

PM me some pics and price

More out of lift pump

I could draw the presure down to about 5 PSI making the laziest feeling motor.
I put a holley blue pump with no regulator (puts out 15 psi) force feeding the manuel pump. Been working for 3 years now

Back