Meta-Lax Vibration Stress Relief

Nascar and Indy racing.......

This is used by more top teams than you would think. RCR uses it, and that is just one. Machine starts at about 20k though.

Got a local machine shop tryn to convince me to let him do it to my next engine. He says its like trying to convince someone to let a "Ghost" work on their engine. Price he shot me wasnt all that bad either. Just tryn to do a lillte more reasearch on the topic.

Lynn

What are you hoping to get out of the treatment?

The same reason we stress relieve any of our parts. To get them to last longer under our new found ability to make more HP.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Lynn

Got a local machine shop tryn to convince me to let him do it to my next engine. He says its like trying to convince someone to let a "Ghost" work on their engine. Price he shot me wasnt all that bad either. Just tryn to do a lillte more reasearch on the topic.

Lynn

they shoudl sponsor you and do it for free.

Engine Components​
Meta-Lax reduces cracking, improving
engine performance. Typical results
include the following:​
Valve Springs -​
Double Life

Crankshaft -​
Triple Life

Con Rods -​
Double Life

Block - Triple Life

hell i'm down for it it i had some money!!!

they shoudl sponsor you and do it for free.

Engine Components​
Meta-Lax reduces cracking, improving
engine performance. Typical results
include the following:​
Valve Springs -​
Double Life

Crankshaft -​
Triple Life

Con Rods -​
Double Life

Block - Triple Life

hell i'm down for it it i had some money!!!

Price wasnt all that bad. Ill probablly have it done to my next one, Supposed to be able to put the whole engine on there and do everything at once. Im gonna try an go visit the guy that does it one day in the next few weeks.

Wonder if it would do any good for ring and pinions?

Josh Ill ask when i make a trip up there. The place that does it is in Buffalo, Ky I think.... lol Could be wrong though... Ive been wrong before.

Lynn

The same reason we stress relieve any of our parts. To get them to last longer under our new found ability to make more HP.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Lynn

Well, here's some thoughts and questions:

1) I can see where a winston cup car that only goes 501 miles before it blows up could use the stress relief. I would think a huge part of that is that you want the block stress relieved so the machining can be done very very accurately.

2) But those blocks are new, right? So they would likely have casting stresses in them and the lack of heat cycling would give them basically no time whatsoever to relax. I remember reading old books where the people making mills and lathes and such would stack up new castings for a year and let them sit. Obviously this was waaaay before things like meta-lax. So it's obvious to me that new castings move as you take metal out and machine them. This would lead to distortions of the cylinders and main bearing bores, etc. And that would surely make the thing last longer no matter what the application.

3) So what does this do for old blocks that have been heat cycled a zillion times? I dunno. I can see where you might think the stresses are gone because the thing has been shaken and twisted and heated for years and years....so what pent-up stresses could be left in a daily driver motor? My guess is, not many. Now if you're a big wheel and have a 1500 hp+ pulling truck and every week you twist the ever living hell out of it, it has no cooling water, you heat it and shut it down real quick....now that block is probably stressed. But a daily driver? I doubt it would have that much.

4) I don't see where the stress relief could possibly hurt it....so if it's cheap, why not? Do it and be sleep better at night...until you blow it up from something else.

I look at it kinda like cryo. There are some situations where it definitely works without a doubt. There are some situations where it isn't doing anything but draining someone's wallet. Can it hurt? Probably not. Does it do anything? Hard to tell in some cases.

So, there's my half baked opinion.

Personally I would think stress relieving other parts might be of more benefit...like for example a crank someone has welded the crap out of. But a block? How many block failures do you see? Seems to me it's kinda rare in Cummins engines.

Seems to me it would work on R&P and axles. Even the housing may see some benefit.

It might. But so many of these trucks are operating at 2X and 3X the design torque/HP. When you get that far off the map, the parts are just way too small for what we're trying to do.

Like in the case of axles, at some point you could make them from the latest Nasa space shuttle uber-alloy, and it'll get them to last 10 cycles instead of 8....so what. At some point the only answer is increased girth....it brings the stresses down by huge leaps.

If you take some time and learn the torsion formula, it becomes fairly obvious that diameter is the commanding factor.

Rings and pinions? Maybe. One of the ones I looked at was hard as glass on the surface....totally not what was actually needed.

So these treatments can help but they should be looked at like taking aspirin if you already have cancer. It helps, but if there is a major problem underneath it all, what can you reasonably expect?

If my half baked opinion is the same as nwpadmax's does that make it a fully baked opinion?

I tend to think the same!

Back