mileage gain after twins? should I just put them in?

Smokin ACE

1st gen turbo tester
Well I'm gettin sick of waiting around for money to get new parts for my truck so that it can handle twin turbos. I've been driving the truck real nice the last few months and when I had the Aurora 5000 on as a single I could keep it under 40 lbs of boost just fine, so I got thinking and I'm to the point now where I just want to put the twins on. If I could keep them under 40 lbs and drive fairly nice like I have been and take advantage of the mileage and power til I can get studs and a 47rh I got in, then it should be worth doing right? I've got pretty much everything to install them, I'll just have to modify/weld up the cold pipe and see how well they fit in this old 1st gen. I'm sick of gettin 14-15 mpg and want to get better, I know the main reason is my sloppy stock trans, but twins should help also right? How much increase in mpg have you guys seen after going to a twin setup? I've heard some increasing a lot and others not much so I'd like your input. I'm just sick of looking at the turbo and piping sitting around in my shop doing me no good having them sit there.:doh: Oh and I know this is in the 2nd gen p pump section, but not a whole lot VE guys have twins or didn't get much reply so thought I'd ask some other 12 valve guys.

Probably not much if any mileage gain unless your incredibly overfueled.

I'd imagine if you were in stop and go driving, twins might give you a slight edge since you would get up to speed quicker with less fuel. But I doubt you'd see big gains, especially with a sloppy trans.

That being said, I should have my twins on at the end of the week, so we'll see if it picks up anything other than the power.

shouldnt see much of a gain or loss in mileage, it will light faster and use the fuel more effectively...but your still putting the same amount of fuel into the cylinder, just with more air, or more air sooner

If you have alot of haze you will see a gain. I was fighting hazing issues on my truck prior to the twins install and after the swap I gained 1-1.5 MPG. This was with an ailing HG. If you go twins I would wait till you have the money to do it right. Although alot of people get away with not Oringing the head I would definatly do it before the install. Mine really didnt like 60+ PSI of boost with studs only. Last trip on the street it lost 1 gallon of antifreeze out the puke bottle by 4th gear! Also dont forget that 40 PSI through a Big turbo is alot more air the 40 PSI through a little one. 0-70 I only see 1200* EGTs.

Back