Miserable milage

gstanfield

Are we there yet?
I have a friend with a 2001 auto transmission truck. It is an ext. cab long bed with 3.55's and totally stock. He is only getting around 16-18mpg running empty. Is this normal for the 24V trucks?

Sorry for a stupid question, we were just trying to figure out why my identical, except 12V (1997 model) truck is getting 23-26mpg and he's getting so much less. Not trying to spark any 12 V/S 24 debates, just trying to see if something is wrong with his truck and where we should start looking to improve on his milage.

Also, I have suggested to him the normal stuff, pipes air cleaner, etc, but he wants to keep it quiet and would like to improve his milage.

Thanks,
George

2wd or 4wd. If it is a 2wd the Injection Pump may be going south, If it is a 24v, 18ish is common, but he would benefit from a timing box

It is 4WD same as mine. It also has approximately 150,000 on it, same as mine.

What brand timing box would you recommend, and what else can he do? Is it possible to get up to 20mpg with a 24V? I told him to run some Power Service additive in it (seems to treat me good) and havn't talked to him since to see if it helped him any.

Thanks,
George

Could be considered normal if the IAT and MAP are dirty. When was the fuel filter changed and is the air filter element dirty?

Stock in US MPG I'd think that you'd see at least 20. I see 18 empty combo driving and 24 (28 imperial miles per gallon) on the open HWY 70 MPH.

Cheers

thanks Earp. Your milage is more along the lines of what I get. I'll just have to go over to his house and start tearing into his truck and see what I can find dirty, etc. Also, would a code scanner show thigns that may cause him problems? I'll admit a totaly ignorance to computer controlled stuff, hence my choice in the 12V.

Thanks again,
George

I was getting about 20 on the highway stock with 285's then I got 315's and the mileage went to poo.... I got myself a VA R box for timimg and am seeing about a 2 mpg gain so far...

Clean IAT, check fuel pressure, clean MAP, intake, exhaust, 275 injectors, Smarty = 20+ mpg easy.

I had lots o mods and with 38's I could get 23 all the time.

dan

Thats not far off. I get between 17-19. But like the guys said make sure everything is clean.

wow you mean i can get 18 to 20 out of my diesel guzzler 24v wow were do i start an what do i nweed toi do 02QC4x4,3/4ton lwb w/315 summit mudcats but truck is all stock getting only 12 now

Welcome to the site, You might post a new thread introducing yourself and askign any and all questions you have. Nothing wrong with taggin on an existing thread, but you might get more attention with your own.

Welcome again and have fun with the new truck,
George

First off, welcome to the site!

Now, for your question on mileage, check and clean or replace all filters and clean the Intake Air Temperature sensor (IAT). Also what tire pressure are you running? If the tire place did it you might be running way low (30-40PSI) and that will really hurt mileage. There is a lot more to ask you about, give us some info on your truck insofar as how it's driven and serviced and we can likely help you out some.

Thats decent milage for a 24v. In no way shape or form is your 12 valve identical to a 24v.You'll never get better milage than the old 12v because of the emission standards back then.Years ago when my truck was only 600+ hp it would get 20.5 on the highway.

That's OK, we just didn't know what to expect. I just figured with the electronics and extra valves that the 24V should still get at least as good milage as my 12V, guess he just needs to trade for a truck like mine :)

George

Back