Mix matching gear ratio's

bh10

Web Wrencher
Im wanting to throw a 14bolt in the rear of my truck, but they dont have a 3.55 gear for them to match my dana60 (and Im not going through the work to switch gears in my d60). Im wondering will there to much binding going on to run 3.42's in the rear and 3.55's in the front? Im not really worried about using 4x4 except really at the track when the tires bite, if there will be to much binding and the tcase pops.

Now seriously...what kind of answer do you expect? I guess you could get all technical and run different sized tires...

i have driven a truck with 3.55 front and 3.73 rear and it made it almost a mile before the case let go, but that was in the summer on dry pavement, when you take turns it unloads some of the binding from what i have seen,

I have tried this on our race truck (not on purpose:bang). 3.73 in the rear, 4.10 in the front. I do not recommend this in the slightest.

Under power it wasn't all that apparent that something was amiss (rears spinning), but when I realized something was wrong and took my foot of the throttle, I found I was now piloting a jack rabbit down the strip.

The truck and I survived, unbelievable the transfer case is still working perfectly.

A drag stip would be the worse spot in the world to run a miss match of gears.I have done it on rock crawlin rigs that never see ten mph andit sucked.

The old Fords had 4.10's in the back and 4.09's up front and I could feel a vibration when the hubs were locked in but the transfer was still in 2wd on dry pavement.

Back