motor build

1stgenctd

SuperBad
I am going to build a spare motor to swap into my truck. the motor is an 89 non I/c. what is the best thing to do for rods? shot peen, polish, or heat treat? also, what to do with the pistons?

Im not sure about the rods, but for the pistons Id leave them alone the 89s had bigger bowls than the 94-98.

Basically making it go very fast and making as much power as the bottom end will handle

Sounds like your dun goofin making 460/713 on a he351/480 combo, have you benched the pump and added dv's? Is it a 160/175 or 180+??

160 pump, dvs from will, afc mods, 5x20s with .025 lift, 62/68fmw over ht4b is what she have when its running again. I figured I would build another motor with better internals so I can rely on it a bit more

It made 481 on a stock non lockup 46rh. That was the weak link as well as my pop pressures being all over the place

I saw it myself, stock non lockup 518 doing 480 hp... Pretty impressive for a transmission that has a hard time handling stock power

I would at least ceramic coat the top of the pistons. Coating the valves, combustion chamber and exhaust runners is a good idea too.

The slick coating on wear surfaces works pretty well if you want to get carried away.

Waste money if you want, but any pre CR engine with milled cap instead of cracked cap rods will do 1000 reliably. Focus on air and fuel first.

Oh, and apparently a trans LOL

Back