motor oil choice

dkimmel

:rockwoot: I was thinking of switching over to shell rotella t-6 engine oil. Truck was born and raised on rotella 15w40 reg oil. Engine has 280 on it. Should I stick with regular oil and add some rev-x?

I would definitely run Rev-X, the oil is mostly personal preference. I prefer Delo 15/40 dino oil. If you are in a cold climate it might not hurt to run a lighter weight in the winter or go with synthetic, if you do go synthetic I wouldn't go with a extended drain interval. The best thing for a 6.0 is regular services and Rev-X IMHO.

Valvoline Extreme Blue syn 5w40 here. Been running it since I got my truck the injectors have been happy.

I ran T6 or extreme blue with rev x in summer and JD 0-40 with rev x in winter. Never had stiction again after switching to synthetic/rev x.

I just ordered the rev-x today. Will change oil and filter and add the rev x. Any other thoughts on the hot shots additive.

:rules:I watched a few videos on the rev=x, I saw one where the guy took the oil filter pipe out and poured the rev-x in the stand pipe hole. It is not hard to do but I would not think it's worth all that. What do you guys think?

I think that may be a little extreme. I would just add to the oil, nobody that has used it has said otherwise.

Changed oil. added rev-x. Been running it for a couple weeks. engine seems to be a little quieter. Mileage is up a little. I think I should use a little lighter oil, other than 15-40. It's been low in the -5 range in the morning. Doesn't to start unless it's plugged in. Only a few weeks of this crap I hope.

Look into 5w40. I've been running it winter and summer with no problems. Easier on the injectors when it's cold.

We use Rotella T-5 semi syn 10-30. I also am a dealer for Rev-X but I dont really advertise it. Just use it in customers trucks.
Those 2 items cure most rough start/idle issues. When a FICM is needed I use 58V and it makes a huge difference in starting, idle and throttle tip in along with mileage increase.

Just ordered rev-x last week I'm hopin it quiets mine down too till I can send my sticks off for new spool valves and upgraded solenoids.

Back