Motor won't turn...

I drained my oil and cut my filter open today. I found some flakes in the oil when I drained it through a screen. The oil in the bottom of the filter had some metallic sludge in it.

Attachments

• Photo160.jpg
    Photo160.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
Its a '99 model ZF6. 4x4. In neutral the truck rolls really easily still and I never heard any noise from the trans before hand but my clutch is pretty noisy and the motor seems to add to the noise level too. If it is the thrust bearing in the trans how would I check that? I'm not too familiar with transmissions but that is something that I would like to learn in the very near future

I think he was talking about the thrust bearing in the motor. If something is not right with the transmission (machine work, installation, ect...) excess forward pressure on the crank will wear the bearing quickly.

Looks like you found it. Bearing.
Yeah thats what I'm leaning towards until I get the pan off and get a good look at everything. I'm hoping the damage hasn't spread too bad through the motor.
Its a '99 model ZF6. 4x4. In neutral the truck rolls really easily still and I never heard any noise from the trans before hand but my clutch is pretty noisy and the motor seems to add to the noise level too. If it is the thrust bearing in the trans how would I check that? I'm not too familiar with transmissions but that is something that I would like to learn in the very near future

I think he was talking about the thrust bearing in the motor. If something is not right with the transmission (machine work, installation, ect...) excess forward pressure on the crank will wear the bearing quickly.

Yeah I thought of that after It was too late and I already said it. It wouldn't surprise me if I had an issue like my input shaft being too long for the flywheel I have. I think the pilot hole in my flywheel doesn't go all the way through, I think it is just countersunk for the bearing but I could be wrong.

I have not heard of a lot of thrust problems in the diesels. Kinda seems like a rod bearing or something. Good luck with it.

I would say if your bell housing mounted easily you are clear, unless you know otherwise.

Last edited:
We dont have a clue how mine happened. Everything was steam cleaned and lubed when installed. Engine ran for over an hour prior to the cam sticking. I thought it was a bearing but it wasn't. Engine wouldn't turn over at all even with a pry bar. Took the pump off and loosened up the main caps and same ordeal. Had to drive cam out with a hammer.

We dont have a clue how mine happened. Everything was steam cleaned and lubed when installed. Engine ran for over an hour prior to the cam sticking. I thought it was a bearing but it wasn't. Engine wouldn't turn over at all even with a pry bar. Took the pump off and loosened up the main caps and same ordeal. Had to drive cam out with a hammer.

When your cam stuck what had to be done? New cam bushings and shaft? Did you find metal flakes and shavings anywhere?

Honestly the block is still laying here. But it's getting cam bushings throughout and a new cam to fix the issue. I had metallic oil as you have. Was hoping for a bearing but wasnt fortunate enough.

Well I spun a rod bearing real good. The rod bearings for #5 were doubled up. #4 and 6 were pretty rough too. All the main bearings looked fine though. I should be good with just replacing the one rod and I will need a new crank most likely. I'm thinking my oil pump wasn't pushing enough oil to get to the back. Fortunately the metal shavings didn't make it into the rest of the motor.

Attachments

• Photo164.jpg
    Photo164.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 0
Wow! Rolled one half right inside the other. I've never heard of that happening before. Good time to catch it!

My buddy had that happen to him. I think it was his timing he told me the engine was new first test drive.

Lucky lucky. Good luck with the fixing.
Yeah i got pretty lucky on this one. I still sucks everything was brand new in the motor when I put it together back in February. Oh well
Wow! Rolled one half right inside the other. I've never heard of that happening before. Good time to catch it!
Yeah they are pretty much welded together now. The other two sets of bearings that were rough make an oval when you put them together now. They don't even touch the rod all the way around. Just in two spots. I guess they shrunk or tried to anyways.
My buddy had that happen to him. I think it was his timing he told me the engine was new first test drive.

I've never heard of timing doing something like that. Compression can put a lot of stress on a bearing though. Before I got everything tore down My buddy thought it could have been from compression but highly doubtful. When I put the motor together before I put the head on you could rotate the assembly with just your hand. Once the head and injectors were in it took quite a bit on a 3 foot bar to get it moving. The motor never really did loosen up after a few runs on it. I guess this could be part of the reasoning lol

Back