My twin ram intake horn(with pictures)

You boys need to study up on your fluid dynamics. Air is a fluid you know, Right?

Pipe turbulence becomes exaggerated at HIGHER FLOW not pressure. Pressure is a static measurement so it could sit there with 60 lbs. of pressure on it and the air not move 1 molecule. As the flow of the engine increases with rpm's is when the the dead end is going to be most detrimental. I would say that is worse than the stock part as it sits now.

Yeah, but even at high flow/high rpm you still have 50-60psi pushing the air through there.

Boost pressure will go up if there is a decrease of flow because boost is simply a measure of resistance to flow. Even say your boost goes up 1psi, it is still feeding the cylinders MUCH more equally than the stock setup.

Eric

Exactly. I made mine because I wanted to see if there was anything to be gained, granted it is just a single tube, it still made quite a bit of difference.

0220091212.jpg

That looks good man. I plan on making one similar to that for my own truck soon.

Eric

joe dose great work i will say, but how did he get started makeing them? if every one bashes people for trying something new how will this sport grow? only way to learn is to try it and go from there. nice work also

joe dose great work i will say, but how did he get started makeing them? if every one bashes people for trying something new how will this sport grow? only way to learn is to try it and go from there. nice work also

Thank you for being one of the few to understand the intent of this thread and my intake horn! I appreciate the kind words.

Eric

stupid question for you guys, can this style manifold be modified to work on a Common Rail. i know we have the fuel rail, map sensor and pressure valve in the way, i think the CR could benefit from this style manifold versus the single tube design.

No one is Bashing anyone, he WANTED opinions and he's getting them, the intake needs to flow the air better, yes in stock form the air flows down and dispersed as hits the plenum, no reason to make it hit another wall before it goes onto a plenum, just because it's a forced induction engine does not mean you should skimp on things because YOU feel the air knows where to go. The air will get there that's no secret, but it's about how smooth and flow and tryng to keep turbulence down to a minimum, for most will say that ITS not THAT bad, but I'd hate to see how the air flows in it.

No one is Bashing anyone, he WANTED opinions and he's getting them, the intake needs to flow the air better, yes in stock form the air flows down and dispersed as hits the plenum, no reason to make it hit another wall before it goes onto a plenum, just because it's a forced induction engine does not mean you should skimp on things because YOU feel the air knows where to go. The air will get there that's no secret, but it's about how smooth and flow and tryng to keep turbulence down to a minimum, for most will say that ITS not THAT bad, but I'd hate to see how the air flows in it.

So tell me. How well does Hellmann's intake flow to the front cylinders since it is a direct "T" leading to the front and a straight shot to the back? Does it then only flow well to the rear cylinders, and starve the front cylinders of air like the stock setup does to the rear? I am not bashing his intake, but you were the one that brought his horn into this so i might as well use it as a comparison.

My setup would force the air to split evenly to the front and rear cylinders. There is no way around it.

we aren't talking about flow to the cylinders, your placement of ducting is fine, it's air hitting the wall of that pipe then flowing down and hitting the plenum, your making the air flow too complicated and not focusing on making everything fluid, it's your first intake no one expects it to be good, now u can take the advice and make it better, I thought my first drawing my teacher gave me in K-garden was good untill she showed me I drew over everything and didn't color the little duckey at all, no the drawing still looked good for a little kid and my parents called it art & stuck it on the fridge but I wouldn't call it my masterpiece,

I can draw inside the lines now :hehe:

I think it would be a great start to a wide mouth intake, plate up the front and back of that pipe to the intake plate, remove inner section of pipe to have one huge open shot to the plate.........

That would work well. Only bad part would be having to have custom made injection lines. Im sure it could be done easy enough though.

Eric

glad ya figured out what I meant, wasn't sure if I was clear or not, long day in a tree stand, my mind wandered all day...........

So tell me. How well does Hellmann's intake flow to the front cylinders since it is a direct "T" leading to the front and a straight shot to the back? Does it then only flow well to the rear cylinders, and starve the front cylinders of air like the stock setup does to the rear?

Hellmans maybe better than stock but it is still not perfect. I built my own "twin ram" with an "almost" even V split, far from a " T " and that still wasn't good enough to make the air split perfect it still had much more flow on the straighter path, so if you want the best air flow it has to split perfectly centered on the feeding pipe.

just my experience like it or not !!!

IKE

Hellmans maybe better than stock but it is still not perfect. I built my own "twin ram" with an "almost" even V split, far from a " T " and that still wasn't good enough to make the air split perfect it still had much more flow on the straighter path, so if you want the best air flow it has to split perfectly centered on the feeding pipe.

just my experience like it or not !!!

IKE

Not doubting in the least bit, how did you arrive at your finding?

:clap: One of a couple good posts here that the maker SHOULD be grateful for.
remember 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration is the formula. No one gets it just right the first time, but we all applaud the effort! Try to take the advise on here and IMPROVE upon what you have to make it the best it can be.
Openly showing a part you have made by hand is a brave thing and it will come with the price of humility BUT if you read the posts/comments made there is a good amount of positive and constructive criticism that can ultimately help you. $.02

have any of you guys fighting about this ever looked a stock dodge charge air cooler?...

Back