Need advice with 11.5 aam differential

r-rated diesel

I finally took my 12v 'drag truck' to the track and the aam that I put in it didn't lock for me. Still ran 11.3 @121mph with a 1.9 60ft. My question is has anyone welded the differential in a aam? I have searched and searched and everyone that I've found looks open and way different than mine. I don't feel like spending 1500 on a full spool. Any help would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 0
Does the case come apart? I've never seen any GM unit come with a carrier like that in a 11.5, our 10.5 have a cone style locker that has a similar case. The GM units like that are serviceable and not terribly expensive to rebuild.

If you can take it apart and post some more pictures maybe we can get an idea if it's possible to weld up.

Also, congratulations on getting your rig down the track!

Does the case come apart? I've never seen any GM unit come with a carrier like that in a 11.5, our 10.5 have a cone style locker that has a similar case. The GM units like that are serviceable and not terribly expensive to rebuild.

If you can take it apart and post some more pictures maybe we can get an idea if it's possible to weld up.

Also, congratulations on getting your rig down the track!

I've had other guys say some split apart. Mine is solid. I may have a guy that would trade me an open style differential that I can weld up.

Also, congratulations on getting your rig down the track![/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy. Here's the time slip

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 0
Might want to spend the money to get a locker or a spool. Had a welded open one blow up in a buddy's pulling truck. ended up breaking a lot of other parts along with it. Truck had about 1100 hp tho

i wouldnt recommend a locker, with the time you ran on that 60' tells me you have more then enough horse torques going to the ground to shread one. a local guy i've done plenty of work for shreaded his grizzly and a dhd. all times ended up reinstalling the welded up stocker i did for him years ago, which has more hooks on it then both lockers combined. he's been over 800 rwhp for a few years now(and is usually the truck to beat).

I traded around and got an open style differential and welded that bad boy up. We shall see next spring how it holds I guess.

Unless its messed up, I don't see why the factory AAM Tracrite wouldn't spin both tires for you.

Any of you guys that switch to spools have a factory LSD to sell for the AAM in my 06 dodge... 1 tire is NOT getting it done

Back