Need help asap ford 6.4l

ISBand4BT

Alright guys, a coworker's boyfriend called me today and asked for help. He is stuck somewhere out in Dubois in his 6.4. He said it's blowing white smoke and losing power. I think it sounds like a head gasket but he said he checked the oil and its not foamy. I do know that he still have the factory EGR cooler and exhaust still on it and i dont think he's done anything to the motor.

Any help you can give me that i can relay back to him would be great.

Thanks.

verify it is coolant not fuel. heads will not leak enough coolant to blow smoke if its coolant disconnect both vertical and horizontal coolers and check for leaks. DO NOT DRIVE IT!!!!
if the coolers are leaking it can and will pool coolant in horizontal cooler and when egr opens it will hydrolock usually bends a rod if not brake it.

Ever hear of sensors being on them that will cause this? That's what the ford garage told him. They told him as long as it doesnt over heat, he can drive it...

The 6.4 is the most expensive diesel in a pickup. Major repairs can easily cost over 10,000 dollars something as minor as a bad egt sensor can ruin the motor. IF Egt is bad truck will not regen clogged dpf ect... White smoke is raw fuel or coolant if it does not miss and is fuel it is probably not regenerating correctly which can fill crankcase full of fuel=very bad. Or the truck has a miss from leaking inj overfuels = cyl broken piston very very bad. or is coolant most likely from egr and could hydrolock very bad also. If it were mine it would be fixed before it leaves the parking lot. When I got it home dpf would be gone and bpd egr coolers, then I would trust it. I personally love the 6.4 but the emissions is a joke 90% of major engine problems are associated with pollution controls.

Back