Need help solving problem (long)

Kroner

Hello everyone.
Im new to this site but not to diesel trucks. Im glad to find another good site. As for my problem I think I have a fueling issue or somethign like that. My truck is a 96 2500 5 speed. Ive dynoed 3 times and came up with low numbers every time. The first time was at scheids last year and I put down 286hp and 868 tq with a 215 pump with no plate, 16 degrees timing, a air box, 5 in exhaust, and a HTT stage 3 hybrid. I was told then I should have been around 350 or better. Next I put 370s in and a 3k gsk and dynoed at total performance in evansville. I put down 352hp and 754tq. After this I was told I had a fueling problem. I didnt gain any more smoke with the injectors or any noticable power but I did have them checked and they were ok. I ended up replacing my lift pump and overflow valve. My truck smoked like a train but the 35/40 hybrid would clean up all the smoke by 40 lbs. I could also tow a 15k trailer without too much of an egt issue. I ended up replacing the hybrid with a full B-1 and dynoed the other day at scheids. I made 339hp and 886tq. The B-1 clears the smoke by 15lbs and I cant get it above 30 lbs. Ive posted this on dtr and tdr and everyone agrees I have a problem but I have been unable to find it yet. Ive also called scheids, haisleys, and a few other places and their answer is that I need lazer cut dvs. I am sorry for the long post.
Thanks to all
Kroner

Not sure if this helps but I had a similar situation. I had a hybrid 35/40 370, 4kgsk and my truck would always clear up real fast. Some people thought I was using n2o . Long story short I did a bunch of mods and decided to have my pump benched. It turns out there was some internal problems like a stuck plunger and some other crap I dont remember. The truck ran perfectly fine like this , it wouldnt rev past 2800 with the 4k kit in it. I thought it was just because I had a small pump in it. It turned out it was because it was running out of fuel. I thought these pumps were bullet proof and most people dont have problems with them.

Good luck,

Josh

Jambbii, That looks like a nicely equipped Ram ya got there in your avatar pic!

:ylsuper: :rockwoot:

Have you played with the wastegate? And possibly a bump in timing? And what was their reasoning for the lazer cuts?

Last edited:
Everytime I called them and told them what was happening with the little charger clearing up the smoke they said I was running out of fuel and wanted to throw dvs in there. They also wanted to put 4k gs in there. I was planning on having the pump looked at when I got the cash. Does anyone know of a good shop up here in muncie?
Thanks

Racin, thanks!

Kroner, First off I would run at least a 100 plate instead of nothing so your gov arm doesnt break off. With a 215 pump you have decent sized dv's something else is wrong. Hopefull when you get your pumped looked at you can figure out whats going on. With my old combo I made 370 at the rears on 40" tires with the messed up 160 pump.

Back