need help, stalls while driving intermittently

NHRedneck

i know that most are going to say check my idle screw, however this is totally different. the truck has done it to me 2x now and im worried im gonna end up stranded, and last nights episode was very bad, the truck was falling to 500 for idle and popping and sputtering like i was running out of fuel, so to nurse it to the g/f's house i had to double pedal it for about 15 min to keep the revs up, and even then it wasnt acting like it was getting enough fuel when i had it revved up to 1500 rpm. no large amounts of smoke in any color, as if it was a timing problem i would have expected to see white smoke. the real kicker is that the truck started up fine this morning and drove right back to work with it today and it didnt sputter or stall once. im pretty sure im dealing with a bad lift pump, but i still dont understand why the truck will run fine like it did this morning? any help is greatly appreciated - David

No fuel pressure gauge, so idk but I was reminded that it could have been gelling fuel. It wasn't crazy cold last night when it happened but it would make sense why its intermittent. I've got a fresh fuel filter in it after the first time it happened so I know its not a filter issue. What are they symptoms of a dying lift pump?

fill in signature with truck year and maked, etc. so we can help.

If 12 valve could be the fuel return line from the injector pump to the tank. These can crack and leak. Might be the overflow valve on the injector pump or could be some bad fuel or gelling. Put in some diesel additive.

Also if a 12 valve there is a fuel "preheater" that has a screen inside that can get glogged too.

Just some thoughts to start. Start simple and work up.

Back