Need help to identify this converter?

kamdsl

CAT tech
Hey guys, could use a little help figuring out who made this converter and why it would have failed like this. Trans started shifting weird and found a bunch of metal and brass in the pan. Finally got it pulled today and found the pump drive slots broken out on the converter drive. Pulled the pieces out of the pump and found the support bushing all chewed to hell, no surprise there. Went through the rest of the trans and all else seems good. Trans was built by DTT out of Vancouver Canada 5 years ago, only have 30,000 kilometres on it though. I didn't install it at that time, they did it for me.

What would cause the converter to fail here?

Anyone able to identify this converter by the picture?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
Another pic of the converter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
Post up pics of what's left of the pump

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I will, but pump is perfect minus slight scoring from all the debris going through it. That's the weird part, everything else looks perfect. Pump moves smooth, nothing else to show why it would have stopped or jammed... Truck still drive and had enough line pressure to keep clutches from slipping.

Last edited:
Did some research and from what I can tell and what I remember Stefan telling me when I bought the trans it is a DPC converter. Does it look like it to any of you or is there even any way to tell? And any ideas what would cause it to fail like this?

Thanks.

Check your flexplate and check the alignment bushings on the engine/trannsmision adapter.

Check your flexplate and check the alignment bushings on the engine/trannsmision adapter.

^^^^Agree^^^^^ you may be missing your dowels common mistake that gets over looked.

How long was it running prior to this happening?

Flex plate is a billet one or whatever they are referred as. I will check it in the morning for runout and make sure it's true, good call. Dowels are there, checked and confirmed that right away. It's got me scratching my head for sure. Trans has been in the truck for 30,000 kilometres (18,000 miles). Worked fine until my recent trip where it started to shift weird, not unlock the torque properly and pulled the pan to find a bunch of metal and brass.

This another case of the lack of clearance from a too thick billet flex plate issue?

I did out of habit check the end play of the torque after pulling the flex plate bolts and it did move a bit away from the flex plate, guess would be at least .050". Seemed decent at the time but maybe it wasn't enough? It did groove the **** out of the stator housing behind the pump, can get pics of that too if you guys want. Not sure though if that was the torque snout too close or just the broken pieces that were floating in there grinding away for a bit...

Back