Need the gurus on this one, p7100 differences..

keyboard

I am only asking this because I am not 110% sure yet. Between the different pumps here is what I got. I want to see if you guys have any kind of contradictions with it.

160HP--131 DV, antireversing cam or whatever it is, 5x9 injectors.
170HP--" "
180HP--181 DV, same cam as the 215 (look it up later), 5x9.5 injectors.
215HP--" ", 5x10.2 injectors. Lighter flyweights than the 180

Alright so I guess that leaves actual cam lift. Is there a difference in output between the 160-170 or the 180-215? Obviously ignoring the injectors... Are the cams the same between those 2 pairs? I think they are slightly different but want to know some specifics.

Also, I did a writeup on the retarding notch in the 215's and would like you guys to look at it cause the whole internet seems to say otherwise and I want to know if I'm blind. 215 retarding notch

Thanks for the help guys! This is the only forum that I know to have gurus on it lol.

Last edited:
Alright so I guess that leaves actual cam lift. Is there a difference in output between the 160-170 or the 180-215? Obviously ignoring the injectors... Are the cams the same between those 2 pairs? I think they are slightly different but want to know some specifics.

Both the 901 cam (in 160 and 175 pumps) and the 903 cam (in the 180 and 215 pumps) are 12mm total lift. The injection ramp is slightly faster on the 903. The return ramp on the 903 is where the largest gains are seen. More fill time = better performance at higher rpm.

Your question about fuel output needs to be clarified, are you asking about stock fuel settings or calibrated for max fuel?

Hey can either of you technical gurus shed some light on what pump i have by chance..last 3 of tag say 906...? is that a 215 ?

Hey can either of you technical gurus shed some light on what pump i have by chance..last 3 of tag say 906...? is that a 215 ?

No, it's not a 215 pump. It should have the emission style plunger like the 215 pump, but it has the D-Shape cam (same as a 160/175 pump). DV's are a 179, looks like an industrial or bus application.

Both the 901 cam (in 160 and 175 pumps) and the 903 cam (in the 180 and 215 pumps) are 12mm total lift. The injection ramp is slightly faster on the 903. The return ramp on the 903 is where the largest gains are seen. More fill time = better performance at higher rpm.

Your question about fuel output needs to be clarified, are you asking about stock fuel settings or calibrated for max fuel?

I mean if you take the rack plug out for max travel and measured fuel output, would there be any difference between them all if the refilling wasn't an issue? As in if I put the pumps on a test bench, through the rack plugs in the trash, pushed the rack to full travel, and turned the pumps at like 1RPM, would there be any volume differences? The timing chart are all different so there has to be something different between them. The 215 is always in that retarding notch if you looked at my writeup which would tell me since it has that delay, it would actually deliver less fuel if it was at the same plunger rotation position as all the rest, so a 215 would need more throttle for the same power. That's my "theory" anyways, that's why I'm here lol. Thanks for the help.

I mean if you take the rack plug out for max travel and measured fuel output, would there be any difference between them all if the refilling wasn't an issue? As in if I put the pumps on a test bench, through the rack plugs in the trash, pushed the rack to full travel, and turned the pumps at like 1RPM, would there be any volume differences? The timing chart are all different so there has to be something different between them. The 215 is always in that retarding notch if you looked at my writeup which would tell me since it has that delay, it would actually deliver less fuel if it was at the same plunger rotation position as all the rest, so a 215 would need more throttle for the same power. That's my "theory" anyways, that's why I'm here lol. Thanks for the help.

Yes, the 160 and 175 will flow the same, but the 180 would be different as would the 215 pump.

Timing charts are about as accurate as using the plastic cam pin on these engines. However, the difference comes from different fill port size, different fill port location (vertical), different plunger profiles/overall length, and differences in shims under the barrels.

Think about it this way...the only ways to increase fuel delivery to the engine are: to reduce restriction of the effective pumping stroke (larger orifice/injector), lengthen duration (more effective pumping stroke or smaller shoulder dv's), or simply increase the diameter of the pumping element (13mm vs 12mm).

Last edited:
I have a 215 and 160 here and about to get a 180 here. I'm gonna measure everything to a nats ass to get some numbers. What do you mean different spill port location? Thought they were all on the side of the barrel.

Please post findings... I have been screwed twice now in buying pumps. And would love to see some specs
and thank you CTDYoungun...

What do you mean different spill port location? Thought they were all on the side of the barrel.

They are all on the sides, but they're not all the same diameter. They also are not all located at the same height on the barrel.

Now that's interesting. I didn't even think of measuring the height of them. The spill ports both measured 0.098-0.1" but thats with calipers, I'd like to try with the perfect little dowel things you measure holes precisely with.

As for the height, the difference between these 2 measurements was 0.051" which is definitely something.

2hhmzyf.jpg

Thanks for helping with this CTDYG.. I might have to thank you some day, I'm an hour east of KC.

Back