Need transmission/ heat exchanger tube 2003-2006 cummins

JHealy1979

Need the lower coolant tube that goes from the block to the exchanger. Friends cracked and can't find a mopar replacement. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220709-152111_Google~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220709-152111_Google~2.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 0
He's old school. One of those it was built like that for a reason kinda guys, and it's hard to argue with him when he's got 400k on it with the sane motor and only one tranny.

When he hears obsolete, or 400.00 for a piece of tube maybe old school may change his thinking. I'll look at the shop.

Just to think, I scrapped all the heat exchanger items off my 05.
I would try a local scrap yard. To check Craigslist for someone parting out a truck.

This reminds me that I need to bypass mine.

Are you removing all the coolant lines and then plugging the block on either side? That was my plan and then just leaving the cooler with transmission lines attached.

I have one off a 2g truck in good shape. I’m sure they are different but figured I would offer.

Yeah, they’re totally different. If it was a 2nd Gen, I suggest leaving it. 2nd Gen heat exchangers are practically bullet proof unless you live in the rust zones.

This reminds me that I need to bypass mine.

Are you removing all the coolant lines and then plugging the block on either side? That was my plan and then just leaving the cooler with transmission lines attached.

I removed everything all together in an effort to clean up the engine bay a little. Plugs in the block for coolant. I also installed a Ford 6.0 trans cooler and plumbed 1/2” supply and return cooler lines. The factory steel lines were rubbing in several spots. Have pics and drawings of my custom front cross member. It was a job.

I removed everything all together in an effort to clean up the engine bay a little. Plugs in the block for coolant. I also installed a Ford 6.0 trans cooler and plumbed 1/2” supply and return cooler lines. The factory steel lines were rubbing in several spots. Have pics and drawings of my custom front cross member. It was a job.

I did exactly the same thing..i kept getting told the 6.0 cooler was a slip in and no modification needed. A day of modifying later its in.

I still have the stock exchanger. My only reason in my head is I plow and its gets cold up here in NJ. I dont know if i would hurt anything more than help it by deleting.

It is not a drop in modification at all. I’ll make a thread about mine sometime soon.

You’re defeating the purpose of the larger cooler if you keep the heat exchanger. The fluid will still reach engine temp, only at a slower rate with the larger air cooler up front. Then again, being up north and plowing, you probably need the heat.

In Texas we have no shortage of heat, even in January.

Why are you adding a 6.0 cooler? I have a huge transmission cooler up front from the factory already.

I commented to do away with the heat exchanger because of failures taking out the tranny, not for functionality or performance. I still contend the heat exchanger is beneficial and should not be deleted in an effort to cool the tranny fluid. Just my $.02

Why are you adding a 6.0 cooler? I have a huge transmission cooler up front from the factory already.

The amount of surface area my factory 2005 trans cooler had was quite small compared to a 6.0L Ford diesel cooler. With the heat exchanger removed, my trans temps would easily reach 220° in stop/go traffic with trailer in tow and hot Texas heat. Adding the 6.0L cooler has more than doubled the surface area, and is a thicker cooler.

Does your 2006 have a larger trans cooler than a 2005 truck? My OEM cooler was not huge at all.

The amount of surface area my factory 2005 trans cooler had was quite small compared to a 6.0L Ford diesel cooler. With the heat exchanger removed, my trans temps would easily reach 220° in stop/go traffic with trailer in tow and hot Texas heat. Adding the 6.0L cooler has more than doubled the surface area, and is a thicker cooler.

Does your 2006 have a larger trans cooler than a 2005 truck? My OEM cooler was not huge at all.

The core is 21" x 10" x 5/8" thick, so not as big as I was thinking. I'll look into the 6.0 cooler and junk all the stock lines.

Looks like the 6.0 cooler is right at 2 times the surface area and twice as thick.

Last edited:
They discontinued the hard pipe but they did have a new hose that replaced it so it was taken care of. Thanks for all the help

Back