New cam install in 210k stock long block

I thought it would be a good idea, but trying to stay on a wise budget. I'll be calling Mumau diesel.

i have done one with 276k and used stock lifters without problems and now is over 350k, that being said new is def better..

That's a good example of how you can get by with stock parts. I figure if I take it apart might as well do it right

I was thinking about running new 12 valve lifters. What's the difference?

12 valve tappets are narrower than laters with CR being widest, if your wanting to tear it apart have actual bearings put in the journals!

I'll put a new thrust plate and cam bearing. I think using anything but stock lifter would throw off the ratio

i did not buy a cam yet, just getting a list of parts together for a total cost/few hour swap. and up in the air about who's specs to go with as far as a cam.

12 valve tappets are narrower than laters with CR being widest, if your wanting to tear it apart have actual bearings put in the journals!

This is correct,but journal bearings are a plus but the cost and what you plan on doing with the truck I don't see them necessary. Cams can also be coated on the journals for longevity and to not need bearings.
Talk with Zach Hamilton.

-Clint

i did not buy a cam yet, just getting a list of parts together for a total cost/few hour swap. and up in the air about who's specs to go with as far as a cam.

a 12V does not have cam bearings, like Taylor said, if you are planning to use an aftermarket cam, most are designed with wide lobes designed for 24v lifters... they do not change the ratio.

good luck with swapping a cam and 12 lifters in "a few hours"

You can take some fine grit sand paper to the cam bushing. To freshin it up.
Cummins spec: number 1 bore with bushing is min:2.1302
max:2.1317

Thanks diehard ram thats great info.

I like your avatar, we put a cougar pt280 Steiger through the NRCS program for new equipment

Yep thats are Panther 1000. One of the last green ones made. Same as a 9170 C-IH.

Talk to tmoney about one of his cams, he has quite a few choices and you know it will be quality!

Back