New guy with a 94 cummins 12v

94cumminsdiesel

hey im pat im from Massachusetts i drive a single can 8ft bed cummins 2nd gen has a fuel plate in take an 50hp injectors im looking to make new friends an learn alot i have a s/n an a blackberry hope to here from you all -pat

Tons of great info here! Is your truck an autor manual? Are you looking for power or what?

Welcome to compd!

its auto an im looking for power it does pretty good with 370,890 on it thinking about pop testing my injectors an possibly rebuilding the motor let me no what you guys think

Better stay with the simpler stuff first. Read a lot, learn, then take on the huge task of a rebuild.

its auto an im looking for power it does pretty good with 370,890 on it thinking about pop testing my injectors an possibly rebuilding the motor let me no what you guys think

welcome to Comp D. do you have any previous background in working on motors, or anything? also I would probably skip rebuilding the motor unless its not running right.

These motors last over 800k, I wouldn't worry about a rebuild, yet. You might need to do a valve job, but that should be the only major maintenance you need.
You can have the compression tested, and a oil analysys, if you're really concerned.
My local Bosch dealer pop tests injectors for free, maybe yours will too.
You should be more worried about the fuel supply lines, if they haven't already been changed.
Do the KDP, if it's not already done.
Get some gauges on it.

yea my fuel lines are rotting leaks a little also when i start my truck an put it in drive an hit the brakes it stalls an allso when i put it in reverse it stalls it will only run right it i let it warm up for 10 mins any idea as to what that is i think its a head gasket going on not enough fuel due to the lines leaking an allowing air into the lines all help is welcomed thanks -pat

yea my fuel lines are rotting leaks a little also when i start my truck an put it in drive an hit the brakes it stalls an allso when i put it in reverse it stalls it will only run right it i let it warm up for 10 mins any idea as to what that is i think its a head gasket going on not enough fuel due to the lines leaking an allowing air into the lines all help is welcomed thanks -pat

I'll bet the injection pump is a little tired and/or your overflow valve is not holding enough pressure to keep it running smooth when cold.

Two easy fixes: Modify the overflow valve and bump up the idle, it's a simple adjustable 10mm bolt.

Or remove the AFC, grind a slot across a large junk screw driver such as a flea market find or a Harbor Freight special, and tighten the governor springs one click on each side. This by itself will raise the idle about 50 rpm and will make it much harder to accidentally kill the motor putting it in gear when cold, etc.

Idle adjustment; TSB 18-10-94 Rev. A
Don't worry about the head gasket yet. Adjust the idle, replace the fuel lines, use diesel rated lines, 3/8" supply, and 5/16" return. DON'T use fuel injection hose, not good enough. Go to a big truck service center and get it, or a boat place. I got mine at the Peterbilt dealer.

Last edited:
Back