new-ish 3.0 truck

Brobida

I've pulled for several years but nothing with a dedicated build for pulling so sorry for any ignorance but, i was hoping to make a build thread/ suggestion thread. so I'm building a new-ish 3.0 truck, the chassis is 90% complete (bought it from someone that got out of pulling) i have the trans + tranfercase, 13mm northeast pump, FVP 3.0 turbo, some other various parts. Basically im wondering what i can get away with for a motor as far as bottom end and head, only looking to do a few pulls with it this year maybe 5 or less and i'm going to build a better engine for next year. So for this years engine, Any opinions on the "Mahle Motorsports Cast Performance Pistons", would it not be worth it and should i just modify the stock pistons (I'm a machinist)? is a girdle a necessity for pulling only 5 times with this motor? i was thinking about 13:1 or 14:1 compression, is that around the right compression?
Again forgive any of my ignorance but I'm looking for a little help.

Pulling for fun or pulling to compete? I'm assuming you're thinking Cummins powered, but your avatar pic looks like a Ford with my old eyeballs, so...

My opinion. You can not cut corners on a competitive 3.0 class engine. You say you're not going to pull that much, but you can blow up an engine, and flush a bunch of Benjamin's in way less than 300 feet.

What class have you been pulling in ?

Pulling for fun or pulling to compete? I'm assuming you're thinking Cummins powered, but your avatar pic looks like a Ford with my old eyeballs, so...

My opinion. You can not cut corners on a competitive 3.0 class engine. You say you're not going to pull that much, but you can blow up an engine, and flush a bunch of Benjamin's in way less than 300 feet.

What class have you been pulling in ?

this year is just for fun, next year will be to compete. i just want to get a couple runs in the truck this year getting used to the hand throttle/ clutch. yeah the truck I'm pulling is a dodge with a cummins, i tried to post a picture of it here but im not the most familiar with how to do everything here yet

How hard do you want it to run? If things are done correctly with the custom machined marine pistons and a properly ported oe head. It won’t embarrass itself unless your tracks are over 330’ like half the country is going to for some unforeseen reason.

Stoked to see Big Joe's truck living on!!!

It really all depends on how much $$ you wanna spend!! I'd suggest hooking up with a reputable engine builder and talk about some options as far is making power. In this area a healthy 5.9 should run with most people around here with some good fuel and air.

Don't waste your time with the Mahle's just get Ross or Arias forged pistons
Spend the money on decent rods it's worth it to not have one exit stage left (been there)
A 12 valve 5.9 with some decent pistons and rods, and some good fuel and air will get you a good running truck that you'll have plenty of fun with in this area.

If wanting just for fun this year, throw your 13mm ppump, fvp turbo, and a set of shot peened 12v rods. Look at Ross, arias, or diamond pistons. A good stock PnP head will work or find a hamilton head. Haisley L19 studs are nicer then 425 and cheaper then 625. Can find some stuff on here, or on some of the FB pulling pages. Think out your new motor for next year and buy parts you can re-use in it.

Do you plan to venture into NY to hook? We have a really good clay track in Fonda NY. Look us up. Mvppl.

Save money for the long term build. Modify the stock pistons, open up ring gap, and throw some bearings in the bottom end.....less than $500. Make sure your pump is self contained oil, that will protect it. I wouldn't buy good 5.9 rods when you will need deckplate rods next year. Find an old Hamilton or factory ported head on the cheap and have some fun this year. If you save a couple grand, you can dump that on your new deckplate motor.

Hell my first time out in 3.0 was with a stock bottom end 12v, we did head studs one at a time, heavier springs and push tubes, 13mm pump, 3.0 s475, 5x.025 inj and sent it.. still ran coolant through a small radiator, had a cheaper frozen boost air to water, valair tripple disc comp. Clutch. It just ran and did good was top 5 most nights around the NE area. Had alot of fun, met new people, got a feel for higher RPM launches, i just had fun with it. A fully built engine next season will get expensive if doing jt all new. Unless you find an engine already built..

Back