New starter, Will not crank over...

Gasoline Sucks

slow 12v
My brothers 98 12v started this issue a while back but it was random. It clicks the relay but does not start. We put new contacts in it and it works perfect for about a week then the contacts go to **** again. New battery connections, strong batteries, replaced a questionable ground wire and put in a push button switch directly to starter relay on starter. Still no good.. going on its 3rd set of contacts in a month.

any idea whats causing them to go so fast?

I had a similar problem to this in my 2000 24 valve and my father had a similar problem in his 98 12 valve. In either one of our trucks if you turned the key, there would be a click and if the key was held on the starter would eventually work. I thought my problem was the starter, so I put a new starter in the truck. This time it wouldn't even click the solenoid on. So in a hurry trying to get to a pull, I swapped the starter out of my 12 valve with no problems.

Since that time I have put 4 new battery cable ends on and two new batteries. I am guessing the problem is a weak connection some where. How are you testing the batteries? What kind of voltage are you getting out of them with the key off, truck off?

I'm using a load tester. Voltage is 12.5 unloaded and only drops a bit under 12 loaded. Still in the good/strong zone of the meter even after 15 seconds of load. When the starter works it sounds like it takes less then a second to start the truck. So it's not like the starter is getting worked hard. I also load tested the ground and positive cables at the starter and they seem to pass plenty of juice.

Just sick of push starting this thing in 95 degrees. Even though its very easy to push start. My brother is getting good at it he can do it by himself. How pathetic is that?

I'm using a load tester. Voltage is 12.5 unloaded and only drops a bit under 12 loaded. Still in the good/strong zone of the meter even after 15 seconds of load. When the starter works it sounds like it takes less then a second to start the truck. So it's not like the starter is getting worked hard. I also load tested the ground and positive cables at the starter and they seem to pass plenty of juice.

Just sick of push starting this thing in 95 degrees. Even though its very easy to push start. My brother is getting good at it he can do it by himself. How pathetic is that?

What does "seem to pass plenty of juice" mean? IIRC the electric shop I got my starter from, told me I need 12.4 volts at least at the starter to over come the tension in the spring to engage starter gear.

It's 12.7 with no load at the starter on my battery load tester but its ~11.6v under load at starter.

2 brand new 800cca batteries from napa did not fix the problem.

What do the contacts look like that you have been replacing? It isn't blowing any fuses right? Have you ohmed out or did a voltage drop test on the battery cables (both negative and positive)? Corrosion is a SOB and can give you hell, but it seems like you are not getting a good connection.

I would double check all of your connection points

What do the contacts look like that you have been replacing? It isn't blowing any fuses right? Have you ohmed out or did a voltage drop test on the battery cables (both negative and positive)? Corrosion is a SOB and can give you hell, but it seems like you are not getting a good connection.

I'm going with the cables being the culprit. Corrosion can creep way down under the insulation. I repaired mine with copper stud eye ends, crimped and soldered. and military terminals at the batteries. Also makes for a much neater looking setup. Solved my corrosion issue with dry cells also.

Not blowing fuses, just burning up contacts.

Do a voltage drop test on your battery cables going to the starter, ground and the ones connecting the batteries in parallel. Your batteries can be good but if you are losing anything more than .2v at the cables they are no good and need to be replaced.

Any other weird symptoms? My `95 was having starting issues that ended up being a bad ignition module.

We ended up putting a solenoid in place of the relay in the box under the hood. We bolted the heavy duty solenoid to the fender and ran new wire. Have not had a problem since its, going on a month now.

Im sure the problem was a corroded wire in the factory harness somewhere but we needed it reliable... Yesterday... So we never even bothered to find the exact issue.

Back