new to 5 speed pulling

greengoblin

Retired
i got a few questions bout the clutch meeting sfi approved and what not. ive never had to mess with that or keep track of it. so since i have a 5 speed in my truck now, how do i know if the clutch is sfi approved? or how do i go bout getting it approved? also, is a bell housing sheild mandatory?

you should have gotten a card with the clutch stating that it was approved.

If you are turning more than 10% over oem rpm a bell housing blanket should be used and most rules require them to be used...

The rules around here say anything over 4500 rpm requires a scatter shield. I guess it depends on your local rules. If you are staying mild, maybe not but it would bring you a little extra piece of mind.

i got a few questions bout the clutch meeting sfi approved and what not. ive never had to mess with that or keep track of it. so since i have a 5 speed in my truck now, how do i know if the clutch is sfi approved? or how do i go bout getting it approved? also, is a bell housing sheild mandatory?

Green, I am gonna speak on the caution side. If you don't know if your clutch is SFI approved, two things.

1. You didn't buy or install the clutch. So there is no telling what's in there without pulling it out to see.

2. I you are not sure about the clutch and what it is or is not, that means it most likely was not purchased with the intent of sled pulling. In which case from a tech, and friend, it's not safe. Not for yourself, or the crowd.

That's just my opinion man. Please don't take that the wrong way, just looking out for my fellow puller. And if you wanna chance it, at least get a tranny blanket to keep it contained.

But if you wanna start fresh with an SFI pulling clutch, shoot me a PM, I might know a guy that can hook you up :)

the clutch is four years old and is a valair 3850 is what the guy said it was. the clutch is still sitting in the floor.

the truck has a 175 pump with 4k gsk,comp dvs, 5x.018s, and a 66.

Back