new to mechanical injection

bigtimefun81

Im new to the site and new to my 1994 7.3 IDI turbo. i have owned an 01 24v cummins, an 03 LB&, but this one is new to me. I bought the truck already lifted and fixed up pretty good. came with 4inch exhaust. i was told the injector o-rings need to be replaced due to a slight leak. is that difficult for someone with limited mechanic skills? i have changed the water pump. and the truck smokes considerably. especially at startup. of course under a heavy foot it pours out but even at idle it has smoke though not as much. doesn't use oil, runs great, good oil pressure. thought maybe someone turned up the fuel pump too much. wanna turn it down a little because im looking for reliability not performance out of this truck. where exactly is the injection pump. a pic would be great. i dont wanna climb up under that hood again until i know what to look for. any help would be appreciated. thanks

The injector pump is located on top side of the motor behind the oil fill cap,and to turn it down there is a plate with 2 screws on the side of the pump (passenger side) ,undo the batterys and turn engine to timing mark and pump should be lined up so u can turn the screw inside the pump through the plate on the side.

turns out when i replaced the hose on the air breather it cleaned up some of the smoke. then replaced the o-rings and even better. still a tiny bit but not too bad. diesels are supposed to smoke wouldnt have it any other way

White smoke is still something you want to clear up though.

You in the service in Abilene. I was stationed there for six years.

Not in the service. Born and raised close to here. the truck does still smoke some and im sure it could use a rebuild but it runs great never hesitates and seems pretty reliable for now. cant afford to rebuild it at this point.

Back