Non-Reentrant Injector ID

Tobin

5.7 IDI Powaa!
I have a 2006 5.9, non-reentrant engine. I have a set of spare injectors that came off a 2005 IIRC (should also be non-reentrant) but I have no idea if they were changed out or what by the previous owner. I want to have them cleaned and tested to go in my 2006. How do I know if they are non-reentrant injectors for sure?

Count the holes in the nozzle. The early injectors had 8, the later 5. There is also a part # on the nozzle under the holder, if they are manufacture by Bosch, but you'd need to take it apart. DSLA124P5500

Thanks Snedge, I'm too blind to see the holes so I'll have the injector shop tell me holes and part number.

I’ll show my ignorance. What’s a “non-reentrant” injector?

He's referring to the piston bowl geometry. Early CR piston design vs. 04.5 up.

copy and paste below from the goggle machine

The re-entrant bowl features sides that slant inward toward the central axis of the piston. It improves mixing and turbulence of the air and fuel in the combustion space, which leads to reduced exhaust emissions.

Thanks Snedge, I'm too blind to see the holes so I'll have the injector shop tell me holes and part number.

(Shameless sales plug) Send them to DDP for proper identification and maintenance/rebuild. You will not be disappointed.

Well, I wanted to just see if they were good to swap into my truck since mine have 250K miles on them and the balance rates were getting a little off. I had them tested by a local shop and they are shot. The return rates are really high. I might send them to DDP or Weston as cores for some performance injectors. I just really didn't want to start down that road. It's a slippery slope.

Back