Not charging!

collegeboy07

Well after installing a new alternator and getting batteries tested to be sure they were good i am still not getting any charge. Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

Crank sensor, its located right about your harmonic balancer. Thats what runs your tach & tells your PCM that the truck is running. IF thats not bad, then the voltage regulator in your PCM is bad. Most of the time the crank sensor is the problem though. I think mine cost me 80 bucks from the local dodge dealer.

i had my wires break in the rubber block that bolts to the back of the alt. might check that.

like TwistedApache said, most likely your crank sensor i just replaced mine cus my truck wouldnt charge either

the main wire plugging into the back of the alt, it was my problem to not charging.

my tach didnt work or my batts didnt charge when my crank sensor went bad!(actually crank sensor bolts backed out and the sensor "rode" on the balancer till it wore down enough to stop working!)

just wondering. I replaced the ESS on the 98 a few months back and now the batteries aren't being charged. Fearful it is the PCM..

If you have no tach and no charge 9 times outta 10 its the engine speed sensor, but it could also be the voltage regulator, you can always just add an external voltage regulator and that should fix your problems.

just wondering. I replaced the ESS on the 98 a few months back and now the batteries aren't being charged. Fearful it is the PCM..

I had to replace my PCM about 2 years ago, the only rebuilt/new one i could find for my truck was off the internet, i think i paid like 400$ for mine & had to send my old one back as a core.

If you have no tach and no charge 9 times outta 10 its the engine speed sensor, but it could also be the voltage regulator, you can always just add an external voltage regulator and that should fix your problems.

engine speed sensor is technically called the "crank sensor" You can wire up an external regulator from an older dodge. There's several wireing diagrams on the internet that show you what to run where.

technically its called the crank(shaft) position sensor not like it really matters anyway lol

how long does it normally take to change the crank sensor. I need to change mine but am stuck in school.

technically its called the crank(shaft) position sensor not like it really matters anyway lol

That would be wrong, since it doesn't know the position of the crank, only the speed of it. Look at the tone ring on a 24v or a CR, that will tell the ECM the position of the crank.

Anyway, did you ever check the 140 amp fuse in the PDC? If that pops, it won't charge.

Back