np 271 to 47re

soupcan

guys i searched but i cant find any good pics of the input shaft swap...i purchased the shaft from transfercase express...im not sure the order to split this case..can i pull the front output then the front half of the case?
ty in advance
rich

You have to tear the whole case down to swap the input. The case disassembles from the rear forward.

thanks j rod im about to tare into this...looks like going to be a job splitting the tailshaft housing off and the casehalves lol
rich

t case is easy

It's easy stuff, prolly unfamiliar to you, but it is just nuts and bolts, take your time. It only goes together and works one way. Take pictures if you dont have a good memory, lay out your parts, in order with a system of remembering up=front etc. Also, prolly the google has some pictures of disassembly...

yrahugym.jpg

napegyzu.jpg

6urada2u.jpg

sugemu9y.jpg

4esepade.jpg

atana6ys.jpg

3uhymyhu.jpg

I just did this swap but going from an auto to a manual, it's pretty straight forward, it is very important to have a good pair of snap ring pliers!

However, I think you can manage it, and hope the pictures above help... let me know if you got any questions

Sent from phone

There are several snap rings throughout the case that will have to be removed during disassembly (not just 2).

Also, while the pictures above are useful, they are not of a 271. The seal has to be removed from the front case half - it cannot be unbolted as shown above, so I would suggest getting a new seal onhand before you start. It is not difficult, just take your time.

I have pictures of a 271 when I tore mine down, so if you want to see something specific, let me know.

Last edited:
I'm a freaking idiot, I just now saw the "271" I read 241 my apologies

Sent from phone

I'm a freaking idiot, I just now saw the "271" I read 241 my apologies

Sent from phone

They're pretty similar - I just wanted to make the point that the seal is basically destroyed upon removal and not bolted in.

thanks guys im going to tackle this next week,lookslike thehardest part is splitting the case lol i bet its stuck together good..i got a new front seal when i bought the shaft from transfer case express i will be replacing all seals..will right stuff be ok to seal casehalves and tailshaft housing?
ty
rich

There are several snap rings throughout the case that will have to be removed during disassembly (not just 2).

Also, while the pictures above are useful, they are not of a 271. The seal has to be removed from the front case half - it cannot be unbolted as shown above, so I would suggest getting a new seal onhand before you start. It is not difficult, just take your time.

I have pictures of a 271 when I tore mine down, so if you want to see something specific, let me know.

Yea no kidding I was saying its 2 you have to remove just to split the case

Lots of people use anaerobic sealer
I like the right stuff by permatex
dodge transfer case and diff silicone works well.
If using anything but right stuff make sure and let it cure before adding fluid....

Back