Np205 problems

kole32

I'm having a problem keeping transfer cases in my truck, my original one stripped some teeth off of a gear. So I put another 205 on and I drove it to town one time and laid into it and the transfer case will not stay in gear it pops into neutral. It was fine until I pulled out of a gas station sideways lol. Any ideas ? My truck is p pumped and I swapped a built 47rh Into it. Runs very good. I thought np205s were a strong transfer case but it seems like it's not wanting to hold the power I'm putting through it. Thanks for any input !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See if you have a broke spring in detent in shift rail .. Or rear output seal and bearing retainer is broke.

Any chance your linkage right since you put a different trans in? I had an issue after switching to the NV4500 with 4 wheel drive poping out. It would pop out because it wasn't fully engaged.

I'll check the shift rail out this weekend supposed to get a little warmer, it's been about 5 degrees the past few days.

I don't think it's the linkage causing it, I've held on to the stick to make sure it doesn't move, it'll pop out backing out of the drive way, so it's not just when I'm getting on it. I'm thinking something is broke inside. Is a transfer case off of a 3rd gen Stronger to swap over ?

I don't know all the details but a 271 out of a 3rd Gen has to be flipped to work on a 1st gen. I know something inside has to be modified. Somebody on here has done it so maybe they will speak up.

Awesome ! Thanks for the help !

Picking up a 271 this weekend. I looked at Cory dow's thread and how to modify one to work, looks very simple, only thing I'm not sure of is the front drive shaft and rear driveshaft, can I use my slip yoke ?

Back