NV 4500 question

Smokinrebel

Swithcing my truck from auto to stick...got a 94 parts truck and am using tranny from it, question is...ive been wanting to get the 98 top plate and shifter to switch it over to match my year, also ive been told that the shift pattern is actually shorter than the late year trucks....is this true? A buddy of mine was talking to a company today trying to find a top plate and he said that they are actually the same shift patterns.....that it is not any tighter pattern in the 98+ shifter...does anyone have any insite on this?

The pattern is the same but the throw is much tighter on the late model shift top. Try Standard Transmission. I got mine from them.

Scott

I heard to change over it costs a few bucks (maybe a couple hundred?). I can tell you the throws on my '96 are pretty long and I wish I had the '98-up version.

OK that was what I was thinking. This guy was trying to say that there is no point in changing it over because they are same. I thought that the older ones we're not as tight of throw....I'm just wondering if its worth my money to switch it. He was saying a used top plate was around 300

Last edited:
IMO it's one of the best mods I made to my truck. No more banging the dash going to 3rd or feeling like you're reaching for something in the glove box going to 5th. I would think one would cost you $150-$250. Again, I would check with Standard Transmission.

Scott

get a B-D short shift kit even tighter its flick of the wrist shifts without moving my arm on the center console. mine is an 03 nv4500

get a B-D short shift kit even tighter its flick of the wrist shifts without moving my arm on the center console. mine is an 03 nv4500

this is what i would do.. if youre going to spend almost 300, might as well spend it on a BD short shifter... just my .02..

this is what i would do.. if youre going to spend almost 300, might as well spend it on a BD short shifter... just my .02..

The BD short shifter won't work on pre-98 transmission's though which is why he's looking for the newer top cover.

I swore when I bought my 97 years ago that I wouldn't drop the trans until I had a SBC DD & a 98+ top cover. I completely agree with Scott WELL worth the $200-ish dollars I spent on the top cover and shifter. I would like to find a 98+ floor console for it now though.

That's what I'm gonna end up doing is getting the 98+ top plate and shifter. Just waiting on parts. Having hard time finding console. Found a guy tonight that has top plate and shifter just waiting for him to price it. Now I just need console

Back