NV4500 question

jedeka

My neighbor has a 97 one ton. The other day, he knocked the hub out of the clutch disc. We pulled the tranny out and I noticed the input bearing was completely gone, which ruined the nose of the input shaft. I happen to have a good one that came out of my 96, so I removed his input shaft and install mine. I found some pieces that appear to be a shim. There is a nylon caged needle bearing that supports the input shaft to the mainshaft. There is also the needle bearing washer that rides between the rear of the input shaft and the front of 4th gear. I cannot see where this shim may have been. Any help would be appreciated.

J.D.

Is it about the same ID and OD as the thrust bearing? I'd imagine its for setting the end float on the mainshaft, but I'd think it would go behind the thrust bearing, since shim stock isn't much of a raceway.

But thats just a guess.

We figured out that this washer is supposed to be built into the back of the flat, thrust bearing that goes at the rear of the input shaft and the front of the 4th gear cluster. Thanks.

Back