NV5600 hard to find reverse/notchy shifts when hot

chumminz01

Truck runs great just daily driving or first thing of a morning when towing, but when towing after driving for 30 miles or more the shifts get notchy and it's hard to shift to reverse. Tranny fluid is Amsoil mtf 6 qts with less than 10k on it. I know I need to know my temps, going to run one through my insight and to kill 3 birds with one stone was going to do a fluid change and cooler. Question 1- am I going in the right direction to solve my problem or look towards the clutch or pilot bearing? Question 2- Should i throw the Amsoil out for redline, pensoil or other fluid? Question 3- Which tranny cooler should I go with, transcool or fast cooler, or not use one period?

I have had decent luck with Redline but nothing IMO works as good as factory fluid does, haven't heard good about Amsoil or Pensoil fluid. Never seen a need for coolers to be added just to fix a problem either. I would try a fluid change and see if it helps and go from there, may end up being some needles coming apart in pilot and sticking when getting heated up if your still running factory flywheel with your single southbend

Blew a front seal out on it and grenaded it probably 4 years ago and got a jasper reman, the SB single I've got now and I can't remember for sure but I want to say they resurfaced flywheel not a new one. Ordered the stuff to run a temp gauge in the insight and going to change the fluid as well when it gets here

Jasper is most likely the problem.

2001 regular cab factory 6 speed factory sport. 90,xxx miles. 180 ppump maxxed and balanced and usual goodies. 6x.013 and BW sxe s369 waiting to go on. Fass 150 at 50psi, dual feed, south bend dual disk 3600,arp headstuds, t3 stainless diesel mani, pusher 3.5" kit with crazy Carl ppump plenum plate,5" straight. Autometer ultralite 2 egt, boost, fuel psi. BHAF custom.

Jasper is most likely the problem.

2001 regular cab factory 6 speed factory sport. 90,xxx miles. 180 ppump maxxed and balanced and usual goodies. 6x.013 and BW sxe s369 waiting to go on. Fass 150 at 50psi, dual feed, south bend dual disk 3600,arp headstuds, t3 stainless diesel mani, pusher 3.5" kit with crazy Carl ppump plenum plate,5" straight. Autometer ultralite 2 egt, boost, fuel psi. BHAF custom.

Agreed. I use to work with some guys that previously worked at jasper, and it's definitely quantity, not quality.

Well I swapped the Amsoil out for 6 qts of redline mtl. The Amsoil didn't look too bad no shiny flakes or anything strange. Ran the temp gauge as well for the average I'm staying in the 175-185* range. Had a couple hot humid days loaded down with cattle and it hit 192. The shifts are somewhat easier but reverse is still a little finicky but I guess that's the nature of the 5600. Or I'm spoiled by the ZF6 in my powerchoke..

Back