O/D manual toggle switch on a 96 12v 47re

Mopar1973

I have been searching and can't seem to find a definitive answer or writeup on here for putting a manual toggle switch for OD. Can anyone provide a link or give me a synopsis? Truck currently jumps in and out of OD, has been through 2 TPSs and voltage is normal when you first put the first tps on it, but a week later it jumps sporadically and will kick it in and out of od. Would like to eliminate tps input on OD and run it straight to a toggle switch, as the trans is freshly built and I'd hate to pull it again over an electrical issue.

A 33 ohm resister inline to a ground. Hook that wire to a switch in the cab. Then run a wire to the PCM on the firewall and tie into the brown wire on the center plug(I think).

A 33 ohm resister inline to a ground. Hook that wire to a switch in the cab. Then run a wire to the PCM on the firewall and tie into the brown wire on the center plug(I think).

Don't think the resistors are neeeded on the pre 2003 trucks

Don't think the resistors are neeeded on the pre 2003 trucks

That may be the case?? I just use them because I have them and haven't had an issue that way. I never jump the Trans relay, so maybe that makes a difference??

Either way, it's very simple OP. did mine at the track when the tps started acting up.

Try replacing the brake switch. It has an extra set of contacts that can cause problems not related to braking. The brake switch is very reasonable at Napa. Try lifting the brake pedal up with your foot and see if it helps. If it does the brake light switch needs replacing.

Back