Oil consumption

madmikeismad

So mad
I can't seem to figure out exactly what is going on with this thing. Started about 2 months ago, I noticed the oil level is down a gallon, without any of the normal signs of oil consumption . I topped it off and it didn't lose any oil for about a month, and then when the temperature started dropping below freezing it started losing about a quart every tank or 300 miles. That was when the exhaust started to actually show some blue and white. I originally suspected the turbo, but I have an exhaust leak at the manifold and I can also see blue and white exhaust coming out of it when engine is cold. After the engine warms up the exhaust clears up completely including any little blow by out of the oil fill. She does not feel down on power at all, if anything I would say she has picked up some power with the colder temperatures.

When I checked the oil today after about 300 miles, it wasn't down a drop. But the exhaust is still bluish white on cold starts. I have no idea what to check now lol.

What does a bad valve seal look like? Is it obviously bad, or do you just have to change them out and hope that's what it is?

I know mine are bad, because i found i crushed a couple putting in valve springs.

Pull the exhaust manifold off and look at the exhaust ports. They should be dry. If they are wet with oil its normally valve seals or bad rings and cylinders.

I've had a couple of the push on valve seals pull off the head. Pull the valve covers to see if there floating on the valve. Two different styles top hat and push on. Good luck

I know mine are bad, because i found i crushed a couple putting in valve springs.

I imagine that would allow it to leak. How fast was it losing oil that way?

Probably a dodge

As much as I like dmax's, I can't bring myself to wear those mandatory queer camo hats with the bowtie on them.

Pull the exhaust manifold off and look at the exhaust ports. They should be dry. If they are wet with oil its normally valve seals or bad rings and cylinders.

Been meaning too, but I'm switching the secondary out this week and was waiting till then.

I've had a couple of the push on valve seals pull off the head. Pull the valve covers to see if there floating on the valve. Two different styles top hat and push on. Good luck

I'll know for sure then lol

So for now valve seals is looking like the best answer. Does the valve stem expand as the engine heats up and help seal up better? I'm trying to figure out why the exhaust clears up when its warm.

Back