Oil Pressure

spooled mule

More slow then go...
So this is a question that many may laugh at but it just started and i worry to much so i am asking anyway. Here about 2 weeks ago i noticed my oil pressure gauge at idle is showing lower than usual also when driving at 55mph locked in od at 1800rpm it is showing 40 to what i would say is 55psi. Oil level looks great no leaks anywhere. I just changed it today and the same thing happened again with a new wix filter and rotella 15-40. My question is how accurate is the factory gauge and should i worry?

As long as you have oil pressure its fine. You will have higher oil pressure with cold oil and as it gets warmer it will come down some. As for the gauges go i havent had any problems in the 4 trucks ive had..

Put a manual one on it and see what the dif is. Compare the two at the same time.

I've owned allot of 12v's and the oil pressure has been different on every one from low to high, never had a problem or paid it much attention. If your worried cut apart an old oil filter and check for flakes of bearing material.

my factory op gauge wont read above 40 psi so i figured i would put a aftermarket op gauge on it, my factory sensor crapped out and i was kinda like well.... 60 bucks for a sending unit to guess my pressure or 60 bucks for a autometer gauge that will tell me exactly what it is.....

If a manual gauge show the same lower pressure you might look into the regulator and bypass valve in the filter housing also. Had a couple go bad in our construction equip.

Back