Oil Pump?

JDGnut

When you guys are rebuilding an engine.. are you replacing the oil pump? I don't know how many miles are on this one. The engine will be 90+% pulling only, so we need the volume for high RPMs.. This one looks good, no scaring on the gears, or housings...
Thanks for any help..
Bryan

What does a new one cost?

Is the old one within specs?

I'd be tempted to run a used one on a pulling motor that won't see street miles, but that would also depend on how much I invested in building the motor.

I threw my old one back in since it looked fine. When I ordered one for a different truck from Snedge I realized it was cheap insurance and have one standing by, waiting for installation this winter.

Cheap ins, I replace them always on any engine. Except my acura, that bastard is expensive. LOL

Aren't they like $50?

I'd replace it just because it's cheap insurance like Brandon said.

the service manual has instructions on how to check for wear and the allowable tolerances. I didn't replace mine with 140k on it.

I wouldn't compare the longevity of a cummins oil pump with that of a car engine either.

im my past experiences, i would keep a known good oil pump thats in spec over buying a POS parts store one. i've had more come out of the box bad than good.

if it were a cummins part for $50 i would most likely replace it.

I haven't checked the price.. if its $150 or less.. its a no brainer.. The engine was dead when we got it..
Thanks guys..
Bryan

I haven't checked the price.. if its $150 or less.. its a no brainer.. The engine was dead when we got it..
Thanks guys..
Bryan

It is less than 100.00. Anytime we build an engine it is replaced. A failed oil pump will cause damage like no other failed part, so............

Back