Oil running out of blow by

Diesel92

I have an engine that I just rebuilt. It was bored over .020 head surfaced and o ringed and block surfaced. Engine has about 600 miles on it. Every time I run it hard it will pour oil out of the blow tube. It has jd's tappet cover on it and I orinally thought it was just because that wasn't baffled so I put a 90° elbow on it and a 180 fitting and it still did it. So I took a 45 off the 90 and ran it up over my brake booster then down and it still does it I was wondering if this is something common and need to just move the breather to the top of the valve cover or if there is maybe a piston ring issue. It starts right up so I don't think it would be that.

Is the turbo blowing down thru the oil drain?

If its not the turbo, Id be calling your builder.

Last edited:
I would think there would be oil leaking out of the turbo into the intake as well if that were the case. And I built the engine and everything messured fine when I put it together.

I would plug those ports, or put a catch can on them. Plugs are cheaper. I use a valve cover breather, I was making a noticeable mess through my aluminum tappet cover and it totally ended after switching to the valve cover style.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Valve cover breathers were a nightmare for me, oil everywhere. What kind of baffles are inside that tappet cover breather?

I bought that style from my local Case dealer for about $118. That was way less than anybody online I could find.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Well did a blow by test on it and it past no problem only 3in of rise at 3000 rpm. So I took a 3/4in ntp weld in bung and welded it to one of the valve covers and plugged the tappet cover holes and I drove it all afternoon and beat on it pretty good and so far not a drop of oil. And there is no baffle in the tappet cover i think this was the problem.

glad to hear its something easy.
Mines getting old and it has a lot of blowby, still fussing about how to make a cover breather that looks decent, no chance of parts dropping inside, and has enough baffles to keep the oil in. I was gonna buy those case dual covers but theyre real expensive and on perpetual back-order.

Another thing to think of is the vacuum pump. Ive seen several around my area with bad vacuum leaks after some hard driving they will blow oil everywhere. Because they dump the air back internal into the motor.

Those valve cover breathers are the way to go. I tried a lot of things using the holes in a billet tappet cover and it all resulted in a huge mess.

Back