old Subject WTF rear freeze plug

dangerous06

diesel tech
New Motor Runs good thought a I Heard a boost leak! So I power break it in the driveway and have someone look then POP All the coolant drains out and the rear freeze plug is laying on the ground?? Why did this happen I've had trucks with way more power this one is stock and never lost a rear freeze plug?! Yes I'm drinking now and typing help!

Just be glad it was in the driveway!! Normally coming out going down the road doesn't end well.

Stating the obvious here but should probably figure out why it let go with moderate power first.

I had mine pop on the stock turbo with just studs installed one at a time but it did it to me at 1300ft on the dragstrip.

Head gasket leaking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my first thought WHY! Head gasket but they would have really had to screw up at the build shop I told them 125 on the studs! Maybe I should start putting them together just for piece of mind! But never enough time IN a day!

It should be unless you've got a blown gasket, cracked cylinder, etc...

It could be all the above but here is my thoughts and what I have experienced with my truck. Several years ago I had a coolant leak in my truck bad enough I got kicked off the track I was racing at. I was making about 750 hp with the truck nothing really hot. I put the truck on the lift and hunted for the leak thinking it was probably the head gasket or back freeze plug What I found was it was leaking below the head out of the side of the back of the block and running down the bell housing I had cracked the block. I thought maybe I blew the head gasket and pressurized the coolant system so I pulled the head . The gasket was fine. What I think actually happened is when your sitting there power breaking building boost you are building so much heat in the motor around the cylinders that the coolant / water turns to steam and the pressure goes through the ceiling enough that it cracked the block because the freeze plug didn't pop. Thats why you need some kind coolant pressure relief system on your engine block either from the back freeze plug or from one of them on the sides. I think the biggest amount of heat and pressure is built around the cylinders and thats where the relief needs to be.

Back