? on my 2000 excursion, 12v swap

jaybuller

USCG MK
I've got a 2000 Ford. Excursion, 2wd with a 5.4 gas engine. I buaght a complete running 97 dodge RAM 2wd auto, 12v truck to do the swap. I plan on using all the parts off the truck I can, so I'm gonna use the stock 47re. My first question is, how am I gonna make the tra-ny shift and work properly in the Ford? Am I gonna have to use the dodge.computer? Also will the throttle cable on the ford hook right up to the cummins throttle?
I'm just tryin to get everything together. That I'm gonna need before I start. Any other tips would be helpfull like what. Exaust manifold will work and things like that. Thank you all.

You'd probably have better luck asking This on a Ford forum or in the conversion forum here. Try checking out I think its ford-cummins.com or something like that. Its a website that helps with the conversion.

I'll second searching the conversion forum here. There are quite a few 12v Super Dutys, shouldn't be to hard to find the info you want.

I'm assuming you are wanting to make it look/function as stock as possible?

Yes I'm grabbing up all I can on the search . And yes I'm wanting it to look and run as stck as I can. I would love for all the gsuges, a/c, cruise and power steering to work as it should.

There is a link on my website to my build log of my 2000 Excursion I put the common rail in. It would have alot of info in it that would still be useful to you doing a 12V.

I used the Dodge throttle cable in my conversion. Power steering shouldn't be an issue either, my high pressure hose from the steering gear hooked right in the the cummins pump. Still haven't messed with getting the cruise to work, but since you are starting with a gasser it should be easier. Any of the conversion shops should have the AC manifold you'll need to hook up the AC, I have the stuff but haven't installed yet.

send me a pm I'll tell you what I know.

thanks Mo smoke

Last edited:
Thank you the pm, I would realy love to find someone who has used the stock dodge auto with the swap. I'm trying to see how I am going to incorperate th3 dodge computor that will control.the trannys once it is in the Ford.

i just ordered from the fordcummins.com guys.. great guys to talk with and they have complete kits for all swaps, from radiator hoses to pcs trans controllers. Also they were cheaper than de stroked..ill let you know how it works out in my y2k f350 that came with a 7.3 and has a 4r100 from bts. Ill be putting my 96 12valve in it.

I'm doin this swap as little money as possible. But things like a/c lines, and sensor bushings and thongs that I can't fabricate or get off the donor vehical ill have to buy. I have a complete 97 dodge truck to get parts off of. I don't want to spend money on parts just to make it easier, just the things I'm gonna. Need to make it work together right.

the ford cummins guys have an adaptor plate to use the dodge starter to save a couple of bucks.. for the most part they are very resonable on the parts they are sending me.. i think it would be worth a call or check out their website

Am I gonna have an issue running the stock dodge starter in the stock location when running the stock dodge tranny? Why would I need an adapter plate? I don't know that is why I'm asking, I hope I'm not comming off like a smart ass guys. Thank you for the help.

Am I gonna have an issue running the stock dodge starter in the stock location when running the stock dodge tranny? Why would I need an adapter plate? I don't know that is why I'm asking, I hope I'm not comming off like a smart ass guys. Thank you for the help.

no, no special adapter needed if you run the dodge tranny. I used a 48re trans behind my 03 CR engine. Only had to fab alittle on the trans mount. swapping input shafts on the transfer case to mate them up. Driveshaft lengths remained unchanged for my swap. (V10 4r100 swapped out for a 03 CR with a 48re trans).

If you have all the parts from the dodge truck to use, just swap all parts from the dodge that you need to control the trans and it wouldn't know the difference.

good luck

oh my bad he is absolutely correct. I should have remembered that was your plan..

Back