one dim head light

RAMICATOR

They Call Me Boner
posting this for a friend of mine. his truck is a 99 3500 4x4. the passenger side head light is dim, like there isnt full power going to it, driver side works like normal. he has changed the bulb, and tried a new switch in the cab, but it didnt change anything.

any ideas on what to look for or change?

Check the harness under the radiator, they have a bad habit of getten eaten by the fan. Also check the battery grounds. If you get out a test light just remember that when the key is off all three wires on the headlamp plug go hot, the PCM grounds the appropriate wire to make the lights come on high or low.

I had to replace the wiring connectors that connect to the bulbs. I had the same issue.

Scott

thanks guys ill let him know. there seems to be quite a few electrical gremlins with this truck.

Not sure about the 99's but on my 01 in front of driver battery kinda on the fender there is about 6 grounds that come together. It is hard to get at with the battery in the way. It seems the factory spot welded a stud on. Iirc it has a nut and when you remove it the rusty stud will pop off. I drilled it out and used a nut/bolt. I soldered all them grounds on a small battery post then sanded the body hole then bolted it down. Grounds are important for it to work on these fussy trucks. This may or may not be relevant to your problem.

had this happen to mine, check both headlamp fuses in the PDC. When the fuse blows for one lamp the power back feeds and looks like a bad ground or bad connection.

Back