Ordering a turbo monday.....

schaef_12

Diesel Junkie
Well fellers, I am ordering a turbo on monday and I am probably going to go with the sps 62. If the Silver 62 is worth the extra coin then i will drop the cash for it.

I'll be running a 100 plate, DDP4's a 3K gsk, P&P Fireringed head with a valve job, and a Helix II cam.

I'l do some towing but not alot.

Opinions?

Last edited:
I like my Silver 62 (62/74/12).....Normally comes with a 14 cm exhst. housing......What is the true benefit of a Larger turbine????

I've often wondered if I could get the same result HP & E.T. wise with a smaller turbine.......Spool is pretty good with my 12cm housing but I would think a 62/71 or 62/65 would be better for daily / street driving!!!

The Silver Bullet with the 74cm turbin should have a bit less drive pressure than the 71cm turbin and could handle more hp. If you're planning on going up in hp like most it may not be wasted money going for the Silver Bullet.

The Silver Bullet will create higher drive pressure than the SPS, the SB has a 73/80mm turbine and the SPS has a 71/80mm turbine.

You say the SB series has a 73/80 turbine.....Below is the print from II...They say 74mm....

Another first! The Silver Series PhatShaft is our latest effort to achieve perfection. Much like the Super PhatShaft it was designed to handle multiple fueling upgrades and comes in three sizes 62mm 64mm, and 66mm. What separates the Silver PhatShaft from the SuperPhat Shaft is our new technology 74mm turbine wheel. To improve on the Super PhatShaft turbos we needed improve performance at a lower rpm range and we needed to reduce compressor surge. We came up with is the 74mm turbine which is the latest in turbine trim design technology. The new trim design transfers exhaust gas energy more efficiently than any other turbine on the market. It also allows for better exhaust gas expulsion which results in lower EGt’s and quicker rotor acceleration. The most important benefit of the 74 mm turbine wheel is that it gets rid of turbo surge and broadens the power band range.

I like my Silver 62 (62/74/12).....Normally comes with a 14 cm exhst. housing......

wow! i did not know u could get a silver 62 with a 12 housing. thats what i been thinking about getting. what is your max boost? how is it for towing? at what rpms does the turbo start spooling? i would appreciate any answers. thanks.

wow! i did not know u could get a silver 62 with a 12 housing. thats what i been thinking about getting. what is your max boost? how is it for towing? at what rpms does the turbo start spooling? i would appreciate any answers. thanks.
II will put together what ever you want.

Yeah, II put it together by request...But, I've been told it wasn't the best idea (by II of course)....They say it's choking out the turbo.

Max boost is / has been around 48-50 psi....Mostly I see 44-46

Towing has been pretty good for me...It does seem a little harder to spool with the bigger turbine wheel...EGT's are usually under control too..

I can start building boost right off idle pretty much, but it lights up pretty good around 1700 or so.....

Back to what II told me....If you are gonna go with the Silver, I'd try going with the 14cm housing that it comes with.....You'll have high HP potential, Lower EGT's and still faily good spool up...

If really fast spool is what you want and need for daily / towing, Id go for a 62/71 or 62/65.......EDIT!! Oh, just noticed you already hv a 62/65/14....What wrong with it?? How do you like it??

I'm actually thinking of selling this one to buy a complete set of twins with a faster spooling top.....Not sure this one as a top would be best....Nathan says it can be done though....Heck, I'm still learning and trying to figure this stuff out too....Hope this helps a little..

Last edited:
I know all too well, the turbine wheel measures 73.4mm exducer, if rounded properly it is 73mm. The S400 turbine wheel with a 74.3mm exducer if rounded properly is 74mm. The SB turbine has a more aggressive blade pitch than the SPS creating higher drive pressure, it also has a factory clip whereas the SPS does not.

Ok kewl!! wasn't doubting you knowledge, just wondering why some say 73 and II says 74.....

So, larger turbine creates HIGHER drive pressure??? Billy said it should be lower......Hmmm!! This turbo spec crap can be freakin confusing!!

I know all too well, the turbine wheel measures 73.4mm exducer, if rounded properly it is 73mm. The S400 turbine wheel with a 74.3mm exducer if rounded properly is 74mm. The SB turbine has a more aggressive blade pitch than the SPS creating higher drive pressure, it also has a factory clip whereas the SPS does not.

Clipped vs. non-clipped.... What is the benifits or drawbacks? I know some people that run very aggressive trims will clip the end of the turbine. Is this supposed to reduce how aggressive the trim is?

Here is my question, why spool a 71mm or 73mm turbine only to gain the airflow of a 62mm compressor?

so the 62/65 would be a better choice? or are you trying so get me to realize that if i am going to spool a 71/73mm turbine that i should go with a 64mm compressor?

Max boost is / has been around 48-50 psi....Mostly I see 44-46
how much hp are u putting down right now?

Towing has been pretty good for me...
how heavy do u tow?

If really fast spool is what you want and need for daily / towing, Id go for a 62/71 or 62/65.......EDIT!! Oh, just noticed you already hv a 62/65/14....What wrong with it?? How do you like it??
it spools pretty quick. just looking for more top end, but dont have money to spend into compounds. but if i did have money, i bet it would be fun with a s400.

I'm actually thinking of selling this one to buy a complete set of twins with a faster spooling top..

well, if ur interested, we can work out a deal. my turbo+ whatever for your turbo. if u r wanting to go with compounds. let me know.

ahhh...never mind the last part. just noticed u have a common rail. i heard its a big difference in turbo parts to swap a common rail to a 2nd gen.

I have an s300 I would like to trade. I'm wanting to go for a bigger single turbo so I can keep my egt's under control.

IZZY..........My HP numbers should be right around 590-600 ish at the Rear wheels....Using the math on my E.T.'s and trap speeds, its close to that.......My OLD numbers before my Flux 2 injectors and Stg. 2 cp3 was 530/1050 on Dunbars.....

So, 590 ish and Running mid 12's with controled egt's....I'd say this little Silver 62 is worth the money!!!

I don't tow much at all anymore but my Ex-girlfriend had horses and I had to tow them for her....Plus I've hauled a travel trailer up from FL for a friend...Max lbs were prob. 7-8K.....But I'm should it would pull fine with WAY more!!

Thanks for the offer, but if I decide to lay down the lute for twins, I kinda wanna start with Brand new stuff on the top and bottom.....I'm high maintenance that way!! LOL........I'd prob. just sell this one out right....

All things being equil a larger turbin wheel will create more torque and will take less drive pressure to equil the turque of a smaller turbin allowing the waste gate to open at a lower pressure. Changes in the turbin will affect drive pressure as well as changes in the turbin housing. I believe the 71cm turbin produces boost at lower drive pressures than the 65 or you couldn't safely make more hp with it. The differance in the 71cm and 74 may be less but I believe either one will have less drive pressure than the 65.

Big Swole, thanks for answering my questions and good luck to u on ur twins.

Back