Overflow bottle spitting

smokingoat04

Not real sure
Ok I have read about this before, but searched and couldn't find anything. I'm running a smarty tnt/r and a tst, while getting on the the throttle hard with both on my overflow bottle will run over, enough the hear water slapping the fan, and running down the hood and windshield. It will not do it with the Tst off, just when it's on, like it does it with increased timing. It was below 3,000 rpms, and there isn't any mixing of water and oil. Their wasn't more than 40 psi of boost, and the head is studded. It's never done it until today, and I've been running the same setup for 2+ years (chips, and turbo) I put a bypass on sunday that's the only thing that's changed. The bottle was over the full mark on a cold engine, so do you think it heated up and NORMAL pressure in the radiator caused it to overflow? Did the bypass cause a sudden burst of pressure, and cause it to burp? I don't think it's a headgasket, due to no other signs. Has anyone else experenced this?

Ok I have read about this before, but searched and couldn't find anything. I'm running a smarty tnt/r and a tst, while getting on the the throttle hard with both on my overflow bottle will run over, enough the hear water slapping the fan, and running down the hood and windshield. It will not do it with the Tst off, just when it's on, like it does it with increased timing. It was below 3,000 rpms, and there isn't any mixing of water and oil. Their wasn't more than 40 psi of boost, and the head is studded. It's never done it until today, and I've been running the same setup for 2+ years (chips, and turbo) I put a bypass on sunday that's the only thing that's changed. The bottle was over the full mark on a cold engine, so do you think it heated up and NORMAL pressure in the radiator caused it to overflow? Did the bypass cause a sudden burst of pressure, and cause it to burp? I don't think it's a headgasket, due to no other signs. Has anyone else experenced this?

i bet headgasket. mine did the same thing with the old studs as well. gotta get the new age studs that dont stretch. just cause you have no other signs does not mean its not a gasket. there is only one way to presureize your cooling system as you have described, bad radiator cap or headgasket. only to possible ways you can do this.

yea, the studs and gasket only have 4,000 miles, but doesn't the level in the overflow bottle vary, due to coolent temp, hince the min and max lines. Like I said I know it was overfull enough that it was maybe 3 inches below overflowing. I need to drain, and see what happens. I'm just hoping not a headgasket. Never had a problem with bolts, even on the second time around. I put studs in the new motor for insurance and now they may have let me down.

When under high boost conditions with timing or without..coolant bottle overflowing is a tell tale sign of head gasket failure.

When under high boost conditions with timing or without..coolant bottle overflowing is a tell tale sign of head gasket failure.

that is correct. like he said above , coolant level does change with temp but not enough to push as much water out as you have described. only way to do that is to put alot of presure into the system.

like the others are saying, sounds like pre-mature gasket leak, are you expierencing any other problems besides the overflow?

none, not getting hot, no mixing, the upper hose doesn't even get tight. I guess I'll retorque the head, and see what happens, but I better get a gasket coming

Back