Parts list, need suggestions

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
OK, so I have this "spare" engine from my 93 that was destroyed. And now in the process of getting another 93 :evil

Now im assuming there is a 370HP marine application 5.9 Cummins? just kind of obvious with these "370 marine injectors, n 370 marine pistons" floating around. Is my thinking 180* off or what?

Anyway, I want to build up my "spare" into a great towing "BEAST!" Sooo would building off of a 370 marine cummins' specs, then improving upon that be a good idea?
Heres what I know will be done:
Balanced to turn 4K
Marine 370 pistons, ceramic coated
Cam (Dunno who's but it'll get one)
Injectors to fuel twins (new era 475's im thinking)
firerings in the head
port n polish
Sheid 60Lb springs
Large exhaust valves (like BBD, but r they a good idea for non race?)
Studs
WH1C/14, H2E combo (gettin H2E free) :rockwoot:
P-pump, or VE. doesnt matter, id like to keep it VE.
Water/meth

Now, will stock rods hold up? What about stock valve spring retainers n keepers?

I am looking for any suggestions, or improvements. I want to keep cost down, but im looking for between 450-550 HP (on a dyno, so it can be de-tuned obviously) and a daily driver soooo...........
Is this a good combo? what would you change? Anything you would add?
There r obvious things that dont need mentioning, like intercoolers, n exhaust.
Thanks!

Keepers

If your planning on running 4k you better get the titanium keepers and hardened retainers. My truck was supposed to have them installed and when I went to adjust the valves one night I founf out it didnt. I had a few retainers that were holding on for dear life in there cracked keepers! the closest one was about 1/16" from dropping!

OK, thanks for the info. I'll get the better keepers too. I figured I'd do the porting n polishing myself. I wont get crazy with it, but im pretty handy with a dremel tool. So what do we recommend for pistons? Just stockers? Gotta keep cost down, but im willin to splurge for better parts too.

OH, as for the larger sized valves, can my local shop enlarge them, or am I looking at sending the head to EEP or Sheid? I dont have a "hotrod" diesel market round here, but lotsa good shops. N my favorite machinist for gassers.

Oh, turns out my VE pump did survive the crash, so thats going to be my IP for the build.

Last edited:
Cowboy_Customs said:
OH, as for the larger sized valves, can my local shop enlarge them, or am I looking at sending the head to EEP or Sheid? I dont have a "hotrod" diesel market round here, but lotsa good shops. N my favorite machinist for gassers.

Don't waste your money. Stock valves flow enough for anything you will ever do.

Back