pin timing

SuperFummins

I got my 180 pump back from getting it maxed out and they pin timed it to 22degrees.now do i pull the pin and turn it so the metal side is in or do i leave the platsic clip side in and do i put the motor to tdc before putting the pump on any help would be good thanks guys

^^^^^ ya to what he said. Pin motor at TDC then put pump back on snug down the nut then flip the pin over in the pump on pin motor and torque nut down.

The timing pin in the case should be pulled back before torquing the gear nut to avoid shearing it as well. Apparently, it's only plastic.

yup, double check pump is still pinned, visually or by inserting the v side in the pump, pin the engine, snug nut, pull engine pin out a bit and flip pump pin, and torque.

what this guy said ^^^^^^^. Then when you get it all torqued I always place pins BACK in to make sure I didn't spin the pump and throw off timing.

ever see how much timing changes when locking down the pump nut?

just set/verify timing manually

The 6 times me and tyler did it last weekend (no homo) it didn't move at all when torquing down the nut.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

ever see how much timing changes when locking down the pump nut?

just set/verify timing manually

Almost zero change here, did mine mathematically and with some digital calipers. Once you go to the initial 50ft lb everything should be good and locked down. I also use a new lock washer every time.

^^^ yes. I never use either pin. Dial indicate TDC on both the motor and the pump. Always double check after torquing the nut.

Back