piston ring gap

bigorange

hey guys what are you running for piston ring gap in a daily driver with over 800hp and going to see sled pulls too I was thinking about boring it out .001 over and top piston ring gap at .035 instead of stock .022 on ring.any tips would be great.

Are they like the gasser rings that the ends are 1/2 thickness and overlap?

scheid diesel told me to stay away from the gapless rings for a truck thats street driven because there hard on the cylinders

thank guys first have to findout what piston I'm running because some you have to run cummins rings and other you can run the different type of rings.

I was told by an old NHRA Super Stock racer/builder that the half thickness ends might break if you accidently rattle it and he felt they were too stiff/too much drag on the cylinders in a race motor.
If they were thick enough in a slow turning diesel, they might be just the thing for sealing the excessive cylinder pressures during high boost.

I can understand the concern about breakage. I've heard of people using them but don't know how well they've held up. Piers suggested it to me once if I was doing a street/daily driver rebuild. It's the second ring that gets the gapless conversion, top one is a standard ring.

Maybe the ones from Scheids & Haisley are stiffer and drag more compared to the ones from Total Seal. Total Seal converts your rings, so if you're using standard Cummins rings the spring tension certainly wouldn't be higher than usual, probably less.

Total Seal sells these as sets and dont convert they use a GL 2nd ring and either a moly type steel or other steel they have 2 or 3 versions of rings. So when u buy from who ever they usally will come from the same pants just different pocket

Ah OK, thanks for the info. . . I know on gassers they can convert customers' rings but evidently not on diesels.

I called them and ask cause I heard this too he said they have sets now ,so I called jegs gave them the part# and there 379$$ + 7 day lead time there abouts.For Hi boost these r the ticket and what I'll b usen I hate blowby

so the total seal rings are good for street/track truck, not gonna drive it every day just play with it, i am starting a build truck runs a little over 100psi thought these were the ticket. Can someone chime in so i dont buy the wrong thing.

Haisley did my zero gap rings and I don't know what they used, but they never said anything about not being good on a street truck. They knew I have a street DD.

Back