Please help truck is dieing

Fummins450

Cummins guru
Truck just dies when I'm driving down the road seems when I hit a bump. Or when I hit the brakes hard. But it starts right up when It dies. I changed the fuel filters and didn't help it's almost like its sucking air somewhere. Sometimes it does it a few times all day others every 30 seconds. Please help this Is my daily driver and idk where to start. I have one injector that is just barley moist around it. But i don't think that's my problem could it be an injector goin out? It kinda idles just a little rough but not bad.

What have you done to start troubleshooting this? There are alot of different areas that could be affected... What is it kinda idling at rpm wise?

Just searched for a whole in fuel line. Or fuel leak somewhere, and replaced filters on air dog. And added a lot of fuel conditioner thinkin it might be water

Idle 1100! Wow thats a bit. When I start mine in the cold (if I have not had the truck plugged in), I hold the peddle just enought to keep it running until it makes oil pressure, then increase to about 800 rpms and let it cycle the grid heater a few times then let it come back to idle.

I just noticed I have a few wires frayed on my fuel shut off sol. Gona replace it and go from there.

Yeah it sounds like your losing power to the hold side of the solenoid. The next time it cuts off (if your not in the middle of a busy intersection) look to see if the shut off arm is still up of if it fell down.

solenoid

Wire the solenoid to the run position with mechanics wire/baleing wire! for a test and see if it faults. Take it from there that b@st@rd is expensive to just throw on there!!..... unless you are made of money/ if that is the case take it to someone who can and will diagnose the problem.

Throw the shut off solenoid away if it's faulty and run a lawnmower choke cable into the cab. Pull to stop, push to run.

Ok so I replaced the solenoid and thought I had fixed it. Then it died again. Seems to be getting worse if I rev it hard it dies and won't catch back up?

check fuel pressure, wire the solenoid open, in case there is an electrical fault causing it to shut the truck down, also a partially closed solenoid can make it run out of fuel.

Ok that's what I'm gona do tomorrow! Then I'm gona crack the injector lines to see if it could be an injector. May check my draw straw in the tank to Bc my fuel guage has been reading kinda funny here lately!

Where you located in BG?? I work down here off Nasville Rd. I could take a look at it for ya if need be.

I might take u up on that if this don't work! Where u work man?
Thing about it is getting it there it may take a wile

Ok I got her fixed! Being the stubborn person I am I done everything except what y'all was telling me! I cracked injectors found a fuel leak replaced some fuel line dropped the tank checked the draw straw! And last I wired up my new eBay solenoid and wool ah! She is a hummin like never b4! Haven't decided if I want to put a pull switch inside the truck yet. But hate buyin these POS! So thank you guys very much next time I will listen!

Back