Please read...Sticky needs help

Megaslab
I'm in need of a whole front axle for a 2004 dodge ram 3500 4x4..let me know if ya got one

I may have one. I havent decided for sure if im gonna part this truck out, but if I do, I'll let you know.

ok to make a long story short..i was putting balll joints in the front end..and for some reason now the ball joint just falls in the whole instead of being pressed back in..

Wrong ball joint? If not, run a bead of weld around it, hammer back in!!

Go up a size in ball joint and get a ball joint taper reamer to match whatever ball joint you get.
You can fix this for about a hundred bucks....not a whole new axle.
I personally wouldn't weld on a cast iron knuckle unless you have the right stuff to preheat the part and some high nickle rods to weld it with. If you do...then you can run a light bead and use the taper reamer to get it back to size.

Last edited:
it's the right ball joint...the old one just falls in the whole now to.....i was kinda thinking about welding it in there..i just hate doing stuff like that

Go up a size in ball joint and get a ball joint taper reamer to match whatever ball joint you get.
You can fix this for about a hundred bucks....not a whole new axle.
I personally wouldn't weld on a cast iron knuckle unless you have the right stuff to preheat the part and some high nickle rods to weld it with. If you do...then you can run a light bead and use the taper reamer to get it back to size.

ok might have to try that..that sounds better than buying a new axle

Same part #? or same size, throw some calipers on it and measure it.

Welding the upper can be done easy with a TIG with the right rod choices will be just as safe, with a few stiches.

You can arc weld it too, again with the right rod (high nickle and preheat first)

What could go wrong?:rockwoot:

Anyone else have this happen? Are the axles that soft?

yea i'm wondering the same thing..i was told that i have craked the axle where the ball joint goes..and thats why the hole is bigger now

Y'all have any Magnaflux spray at the shop for checking heads for cracks?

You should be able to find a can locally...welding supply shops generally have it around where I live.

Back