Plugging heater core lines

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Competition only, high rpm pulling engine.

can you plug the heater core line at the front of the head, and what about the T-stat bypass hose? just looking to simplify things and put pipe plugs in these holes rather than have a bunch of bypass hoses all over.

I will be running a coolant bypass from the back of the block to the upper radiator hose, and my T-stat will have 2 holes drilled in it to let pressure pass but still restrict flow so it can get some heat.

I hear some people say its a horrible idea and you will blow freeze plugs by plugging it

I would keep the heater core in. Nice to be able to defrost your window at the late night hooks.

I had the same thoughts originally, but the Heater core is trash, i was fighting a losing battle with it not giving me heat, and clogging up when it was a street toy still.

I have no plans to rip out the dash and replace a heater core on a pulling truck. If i have to ill get one of those 12v ceramic heaters to sit on the dash and keep the windows clear while its in the pits.

Plugged them on my puller last year and it seemed fine. Never built up a lot of pressure.

So if your gonna run an electric heater, I assume your gonna have an alternator?

The heater would be used in the pits powered from the towrig, sit it on the dash and keep the windshield clear until it was time to line up. I want to try to keep an alternator tho, because i currently still have electric fuel pump, an there will be a water pump for the intercooler.

My idea is to mount it down where the AC compressor was, and run a short belt off the crank to a 1 wire alt. However I do not like the electric water pumps that mount on the block, too many failures. I will go with an inline pump on lower rad hose and make a cover/seal for the front of the block.

Instead of putting plugs in at the block, what about running a single line and connecting each other?

If your gonna drill holes in your T-stat you can lose the small hose as it will serve no purpose now. IMO if your going to keep your stock water pump I would connect the heater inlet and outlet, I had no issues after I did this as you know.

Sorry to get a little off topic:

Is the heater core constantly flowing, or is there a shut off valve in it?

Sorry to get a little off topic:

Is the heater core constantly flowing, or is there a shut off valve in it?

It flows constantly, IIRC. That's why so many 12v owners install a ball-valve shut off in the line; it makes the cab much cooler in the summer.

That's what I thought.

I want to put my turbo cooling lines both into the heater core inlet to get me faster heater, but didn't want it dead heading.

Sorry again for getting off topic, I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic...

Misspelling courtesy of my fat fingers...

I assume the outlet my the Tstat would be the heater core inlet, while the loser rad hose one is the return?

Back