POP goes the weasel...

satburn

:kick:

Was headed to the dyno event, had just changed the fuel filter and installed a fuel pressure gauge. At idle I had about 15 pounds of pressure. So I stretched the spring, got her up to 30 pounds at an idle. I start driving down for the event and I had this little guy sitting on my shoulder suddenly whisper in my ear....

He says: "Psst... you haven't really stepped down on her since you put it together? Don't you think you should do that before you get down there? You know, to make sure things are ok?" :evil :poke:

So, I begin stepping into her at about 55 mph, shiny new boost gauge starts its move 10, 15... OOOOooooo she's starting to sing now.... 20, 30, 40 (POP!).

:doh:

What was that? And what was that "shudder"? Why do I smell antifreeze? Buddy with me has his arm up on the door with the window down and he's saying, why is my arm wet?

Note to self, high timing, great fuel pressure, pump mods, big injectors, studs, marine gasket = should REALLY be o-ringed.

Apparently I should have had my truck Timmay tested and approved. Got nobody to blame but me though. I'll ring her this time, which is what I should have done all along. Looks like the combination of fuel pressure + high timing was just a hair too much cylinder pressure. But, if there's a silver lining to the whole thing its 2 things.

1) I've gotten a lot quicker at taking the head off and know all the wrench sizes to get it done.

2) I got to look and confirm the spray patterns in the bowl with the high timing.

Lucky Jeff said:
So what do you have the timing set at?

:pop: Same question, I'd like to o-ring my head on my terms and not when the truck feels like it.........Lon

satburn said:
Apparently I should have had my truck Timmay tested and approved.

Call me when you are ready. I can put it through it's paces LOL

Back